Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted off waitlist but may be too late  (Read 7846 times)

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Accepted off waitlist but may be too late
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 11:11:16 PM »

Oh my goodness.  Even if the T40 was giving me a full ride (which many of them did), I would (and did) still pick the T14.  I would have gone to Michigan even if they hadn't given me anything, and (since I have already started I can tell you this without doubt) I would have been incredibly happy with my decision.  I'm learning from some of the best professors in the world, and I will be saying the same thing every semester for the next 2.5 years. 

How can you say that when you haven't studied at another school? I like living in the United States, but I have no idea what it's like living in Japan or New Zealand, so I can't say this is the best or even a good place to be, comparatively. All I can say is that I like it here.

Also, what if he doesn't want big law. What if he debt aversive. What if he has a job lined up. There are so many other questions outside of that, the question can not be answered easily.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »

Oh my goodness.  Even if the T40 was giving me a full ride (which many of them did), I would (and did) still pick the T14.  I would have gone to Michigan even if they hadn't given me anything, and (since I have already started I can tell you this without doubt) I would have been incredibly happy with my decision.  I'm learning from some of the best professors in the world, and I will be saying the same thing every semester for the next 2.5 years. 

How can you say that when you haven't studied at another school? I like living in the United States, but I have no idea what it's like living in Japan or New Zealand, so I can't say this is the best or even a good place to be, comparatively. All I can say is that I like it here.

Also, what if he doesn't want big law. What if he debt aversive. What if he has a job lined up. There are so many other questions outside of that, the question can not be answered easily.

I have never been married to anyone but my wife, but I can tell you (with the same level of certainty) that I am incredibly happy with my decision.  It's really not that difficult.  Michigan is an incredible place, and it IS certain that I would prefer to be here over any other school.  (Yes, that includes Harvard, Yale, or Stanford.) 

Michigan is not a big-law lawyer factory, nor are many (any?) of the other top schools.  You can certainly get those types of jobs, and many people here want and get them, but you can do whatever you want coming from here.  Michigan has an incredible LRAP program, so debt-load is not an issue. 

What I said about my professors is very important, and would be less likely at a lower-ranked school.  I took Contracts from the guy who wrote the book, wrote the hornbook, and knew the guy who wrote much of Article 2 of the UCC.  My Property professor wrote the book, and is incredible.  My CivPro professor is probably the top CivPro guy in the country. 

Michigan is a different kind of place, and I don't need to go anywhere else to know how happy I am here.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »

Michigan is a different kind of place, and I don't need to go anywhere else to know how happy I am here.

And there is my point. Your happiness (and I don't mean to be harsh, happiness is hard to find, and I'm glad you found a school you enjoy) has nothing to do with which school he wants to go here. But you can't say it is any better or worse than other schools, because you don't know. You can only say it is good. You say you would rather go to Michigan over Yale, and that is surely incomprehensible to certain students from Yale. Just like someone could want to attend and choose Arizona over Michigan, and certain students from Michigan or any t14(you included, as you said in one of your earlier posts in this thread) would find it incomprehensible to choose a t40 over a t14, probably using very similar arguments as the Yale student to Michigan.

And if what you said were the case about knowing you will be happy with your wife- everyone believes that for the most part, and if it were true for everyone, no one would ever get divorced.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 05:00:44 PM »

And there is my point. Your happiness (and I don't mean to be harsh, happiness is hard to find, and I'm glad you found a school you enjoy) has nothing to do with which school he wants to go here. But you can't say it is any better or worse than other schools, because you don't know. You can only say it is good. You say you would rather go to Michigan over Yale, and that is surely incomprehensible to certain students from Yale. Just like someone could want to attend and choose Arizona over Michigan, and certain students from Michigan or any t14(you included, as you said in one of your earlier posts in this thread) would find it incomprehensible to choose a t40 over a t14, probably using very similar arguments as the Yale student to Michigan.

And if what you said were the case about knowing you will be happy with your wife- everyone believes that for the most part, and if it were true for everyone, no one would ever get divorced.

My happiness wasn't the point of my original post--it was a rebuttal to your comments.  The difference between Arizona and Michigan is much bigger than the difference between Yale and Michigan, and if I was younger and single, and not tied to the Michigan market, I might have considered going to Harvard or Yale over Michigan, but probably only one of those two. 

And at least half of the people who get married are idiots.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »
Yeah, I guess. But that is only your opinion, and in the eyes of a Yale student, they would say the same thing about Michigan. Does Michigan really place better than Arizona in Arizona and New Mexico? I doubt it.

But yes, TITCR about marriages.