Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted off waitlist but may be too late  (Read 7656 times)

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted off waitlist but may be too late
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 08:42:24 PM »
are you guys freaking kidding?  what does personal happiness mean in the face of a law school's academic prestige and weight in the job market?!?  this is a NO-BRAINER!

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 08:58:43 PM »
I'd take the T14 over the T40.  Job prospects are inevitably better.  I'd be scared to go to a lower ranked school that only sends 30-40% to biglaw, because I don't think anyone can accurately predict how they're going to do.  There are certainly variations within the T14 (and there are some schools outside of the T14 that offer comparable career opps), but generally speaking the higher up in the chain you go, the bigger safety net you've got.

Moreover, pedigree seems to be quite important in the legal sphere.  It depends on your ambitions.  If you were getting at least half-ride (and for me, it'd need to be full ride) from the T40, then you'd have a dilemma.  But if the T40 is only giving you 15k a year, to me this is a NO BRAINER!   ::)

But seriously, unless you've got some serious factors tying you to the T40 besides the little bit of money you've been given, T14.  Now if you're really looking for some fun, call up the T40, tell them what's happened, and haggle for more money!

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »
  Now if you're really looking for some fun, call up the T40, tell them what's happened, and haggle for more money!

good advice

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 10:25:47 PM »
IIf you were getting at least half-ride (and for me, it'd need to be full ride) from the T40, then you'd have a dilemma.  But if the T40 is only giving you 15k a year, to me this is a NO BRAINER!   ::)

15k a year is a Full ride at some state schools...  OP needs to clarify his particulars because the wild-ass speculation here is running rampant.
all figures assume in-state since we don't know about OP's particulars

Univ of Wash-22K yr  ranked 30
Ohio State- 20k yr ranked 32
Univ of Iowa- 16k ranked 27
Univ of Georgia- 12K ranked 32
if the OP said T40 he/she probably meant #40 which is:
UNC 13K yer
UC hastings 24k yr
Univ of Maryland  21k yr

location matters in law school decisions, T14 esp if it isn't HYS doesn't carry that holy grail that all you speculators think it does.  If you want to work in NYC/Boston/DC then NYU is a great option, if you want to work in Seattle then you had better take your 15k at Washington.
University of Oklahoma '11

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »
Aren't you a 0L?  What do you know about hiring practices from top schools?

As far as hiring practices at top schools, I don't know crap.  And I would suspect that most here don't. What hiring experience do you have from the top schools?  Still hanging out on the pre-law LSD board after you graduated from the T14?  I highly doubt it.      But having travelled this country extensively and met many people from varying walks of life I have a feel for how people conduct themselves in business.  I stand by my statement that a Univ of Washington grad will get a job in Seattle or the PNW over a NYU grad if that NYU grad has no ties the PNW.  Just to make it fair lets say top 20% at either school for each job applicant.   Please feel free to discredit this.
University of Oklahoma '11

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 10:57:58 PM »
IIf you were getting at least half-ride (and for me, it'd need to be full ride) from the T40, then you'd have a dilemma.  But if the T40 is only giving you 15k a year, to me this is a NO BRAINER!   ::)

15k a year is a Full ride at some state schools...  OP needs to clarify his particulars because the wild-ass speculation here is running rampant.
all figures assume in-state since we don't know about OP's particulars

Univ of Wash-22K yr  ranked 30
Ohio State- 20k yr ranked 32
Univ of Iowa- 16k ranked 27
Univ of Georgia- 12K ranked 32
if the OP said T40 he/she probably meant #40 which is:
UNC 13K yer
UC hastings 24k yr
Univ of Maryland  21k yr

location matters in law school decisions, T14 esp if it isn't HYS doesn't carry that holy grail that all you speculators think it does.  If you want to work in NYC/Boston/DC then NYU is a great option, if you want to work in Seattle then you had better take your 15k at Washington.

My point is, if the OP is in at a T40 school (any of the schools you've listed, for that matter) and is now also in at a WL, he/she has some leverage.  Even if 15k a year is full tuition (which according to your list it is not at most schools) the OP should be working to leverage money for living expenses, stipend, etc.

Were your implicit assumption about me true, I would not be telling the OP to still consider the lower ranked schools over the T14.  And yes, regional schools can be good, but the general rule of thumb is that T14 schools are national and if you're aiming for biglaw or great PI jobs (which many on this board are), T14 will dominate in this area moreso than others.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 03:38:55 AM »
And there are circumstances where he'd be better at a lower ranked but still well regarded school. Example: I'd hate my life if I lived in Michigan for any amount of time.

D'you know what? I have to agree with that, but substitute NYC for Michigan.

NYC never did a lot for me, but I guess I'd take it over California, Chicago, and D.C. . I think I almost disqualify myself from big law just based on that.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 06:05:27 PM »
No, there isn't.  He could graduate at the bottom of his NYU class and still have his pick of AZ jobs.  Yes, there are many other things to consider, but the OP states the the only loss will be 45k and a seat deposit.  In that case, it's a no-brainer.

actually, that's not what he said.  he said he WILL lose those things.  he didn't say they'd be the only disadvantage to him moving.  also, he could graduate at the TOP of his NYU class, and be the biggest feminine hygiene product ever, and still be unemployed in 9 months...it actually happens.  are you really trying to think through his problem, or are you just rattling off some answer you've seen posted on these boards over and over and now you take as fact??

I think assuming OP is a feminine hygiene product was a master stroke.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
I'd take the T14 over the T40.  Job prospects are inevitably better.  I'd be scared to go to a lower ranked school that only sends 30-40% to biglaw, because I don't think anyone can accurately predict how they're going to do.  There are certainly variations within the T14 (and there are some schools outside of the T14 that offer comparable career opps), but generally speaking the higher up in the chain you go, the bigger safety net you've got.

Moreover, pedigree seems to be quite important in the legal sphere.  It depends on your ambitions.  If you were getting at least half-ride (and for me, it'd need to be full ride) from the T40, then you'd have a dilemma.  But if the T40 is only giving you 15k a year, to me this is a NO BRAINER!   ::)

But seriously, unless you've got some serious factors tying you to the T40 besides the little bit of money you've been given, T14.  Now if you're really looking for some fun, call up the T40, tell them what's happened, and haggle for more money!

Oh my goodness.  Even if the T40 was giving me a full ride (which many of them did), I would (and did) still pick the T14.  I would have gone to Michigan even if they hadn't given me anything, and (since I have already started I can tell you this without doubt) I would have been incredibly happy with my decision.  I'm learning from some of the best professors in the world, and I will be saying the same thing every semester for the next 2.5 years. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011