Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted off waitlist but may be too late  (Read 7753 times)

jamesgoldsack

• View Profile
Accepted off waitlist but may be too late
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:02:15 PM »
I just heard from a T14 that I have been accepted, but I have already put a seat deposit and first and last months on a place near the T40 school that I will probably be attending.  Scholarship/Grant money is 15k a year less and I'll be losing about 3 grand if I accept off the waitlist, is it worth it?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
Re: Accepted off waitlist but may be too late
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 11:41:59 PM »
Yeah, it's worth it.  If you can find a way to afford taking the hit, take the hit.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:48:39 PM »
Which T14 and which T40?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:38:15 PM »
Which T14 and which T40?

Are you really seriously asking that question?  It doesn't matter, and it doesn't matter, and if the OP had to eat $20,000+ it would still be worth it. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:45:01 PM »
i know what the common consensus is on this board, but there are many factors which may be more important to OP than just academic prestige.  the city in which the schools are located would be a big one for me.  the $45k in scholarship money is a huge deal...especially if OP were to finish top 10% at the T40, and bottom of the class at a T14.  this just doesn't seem as open and shut of a case as some would like to make it...

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 07:57:35 PM »
what if he drops out because he hates the people at the T14?  what if China invades and we're all sent to concentration camps based on where we went to grad school?  i don't think that it's so incredibly wild to assume that the OP may have a better shot at finishing better in his class at a T40 than at a T14 given the level of students.  that being said, you failed to address my main point which is that there are MANY more things to consider than just academic prestige: scholarship money, location, family ties, to name a few.  without more info regarding the schools he's considering, it's hard to say either way.  if OP were talking about W&L (T40) and UVA (T14), then it's pretty much a no brainer.  however, if we're talking about University of Arizona (T40) and NYU (T14), then there's a LOT more to consider. 

again, i am aware of the consensus on this board that the T14 is sacred and should not be passed up NO MATTER WHAT, but i think OP COULD be in one of those unique situations where he may need to consider it. 

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 08:08:29 PM »
No, there isn't.  He could graduate at the bottom of his NYU class and still have his pick of AZ jobs.  Yes, there are many other things to consider, but the OP states the the only loss will be 45k and a seat deposit.  In that case, it's a no-brainer.

actually, that's not what he said.  he said he WILL lose those things.  he didn't say they'd be the only disadvantage to him moving.  also, he could graduate at the TOP of his NYU class, and be the biggest feminine hygiene product ever, and still be unemployed in 9 months...it actually happens.  are you really trying to think through his problem, or are you just rattling off some answer you've seen posted on these boards over and over and now you take as fact??

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 08:10:15 PM »
No, there isn't.  He could graduate at the bottom of his NYU class and still have his pick of AZ jobs

I don't agree with this.  A NYU grad will get asked his class rank just like a Arizona or ASU grad will.  Hiring Partner at Phoenix/Tucson Biglaw  Firm takes the candidate with Arizona ties unless that person was bottom of their class as well.

OP needs to somewhat clarify his location, schools, and where he/she would like to practice if they want practical advise.
University of Oklahoma '11

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 08:12:28 PM »
No, there isn't.  He could graduate at the bottom of his NYU class and still have his pick of AZ jobs

OP needs to somewhat clarify his location, schools, and where he/she would like to practice if they want practical advise.

exactly. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:33:46 PM »
Which T14 and which T40?

Are you really seriously asking that question?  It doesn't matter, and it doesn't matter, and if the OP had to eat $20,000+ it would still be worth it. 

Curiosity really. Plus I'm trolling for a good ol' fashioned Duke v. UNC fight.

OP's actually going to eat almost $50k more in debt based on his numbers. That's not a lot in the long haul, but it's a lot right now.

And there are circumstances where he'd be better at a lower ranked but still well regarded school. Example: I'd hate my life if I lived in Michigan or Ohio for any amount of time.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.