Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 170/3.86 Where do I have a shot?  (Read 2298 times)

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 170/3.86 Where do I have a shot?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 04:19:24 PM »
Even if this kind of post is ridiculous (and it's not), posts about how ridiculous this kind of post is are necessarily more ridiculous.  You can tell what kind of thread it is without even opening it, so don't open it.

Actually it is a very ridiculous post. Common sense dictates that the OP would just apply to every top 20 school and see where he lands. Its that simple. He knows that, and so does everyone else.

And BTW, posts about how ridiculous a post's comment on the ridiculousness of a post is even more ridiculous than all other posts.  ;)

MorningYellofHorror

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 06:00:19 PM »
No.  I came into this thread to answer a set of legitimate questions (and it's abundantly clear he had legitimate questions now).  You came into this thread to complain about it.  It happens all the time at forums like this, although rarely to people with 170 or lower, and is really tedious and unhelpful.  It's clear what the thread is about-if you don't like it, just don't open it.

The only people who don't have anything to ask that we can help answer have 4.0/180.  Even if it's just for reassurance or anecdotes or general advice, a poster with 170/3.86 (especially one who was considering binding ED at George Washington) has every right to seek advice here.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 03:47:37 PM »
No.  I came into this thread to answer a set of legitimate questions (and it's abundantly clear he had legitimate questions now).  You came into this thread to complain about it.  It happens all the time at forums like this, although rarely to people with 170 or lower, and is really tedious and unhelpful.  It's clear what the thread is about-if you don't like it, just don't open it.

The only people who don't have anything to ask that we can help answer have 4.0/180.  Even if it's just for reassurance or anecdotes or general advice, a poster with 170/3.86 (especially one who was considering binding ED at George Washington) has every right to seek advice here.

Just like I have a right to comment on these types of posts as well. If you don't like my comment, then just don't respond to it.

Also, what exactly have you answered that the OP probably didn't already know? I know you like to think that you are being helpful, but in reality, you're not. You aren't adding anything to the table that is not known by anyone already. This is exactly why I think these types of threads are ridiculous. Everyone (like yourself) is just passing on ancedotal knowledge that can be easily attained by just skimming through previous posts. What you have said has been said a thousand times before. In fact, you're probably just regurgitating something that you've read or heard before as well. You (and everyone else who tries to give "advice" on these types of posts) aren't reinvinting the wheel, you're just retreading it.

So yes, I came onto this thread to complain about it. Because quite honestly, I get a little sick of people asking age old questions and then having people like you come along to give age old answers.

And please don't think that I'm personally attacking you or the OP. I'm just stating my opinion on the "ridiculousness" of this type of post.  ;)

MorningYellofHorror

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 04:09:27 PM »
Yes, and again, it's silly and unhelpful.

At any rate, the original poster was thinking about applying ED to George Washington.  There are things he clearly doesn't understand about law school debt and salary statistics, yeah?  Or about his competitiveness for scholarships at better schools?  Yeah, he could find out by digging up the statistics for himself, but instead he asked and several posters (other than yourself) were happy to oblige him as they've been obliged in the past.

More than anything, I think what function these threads serve is psychological.  Many people are going through this process by themselves.  It's comforting to hear from people who have gone through or are going through the same things, and quite often (as in my case) a lot can be learned in the process.  I've since verified what I've heard here with statistics and conversations with my prelaw adviser, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate hearing all the same stuff at these forums first. 

You certainly do not have to like it.  I think it would be polite, however, to let it alone. 

MorningYellofHorror

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 11:50:44 PM »
Just to add, because I've made this comment myself to friends and family when discussing the things I've learned at places like this, I understand where you're coming from.  90% of what happens here is pretty much people who registered yesterday asking for the advice of people who registered last week. 

I still think it's helpful.  Some people haven't discovered the fattening wonders of LSN.  There are people who have visited or who have just gotten in or, even better, who've been at a school for a year or two.  And if nothing else, it's a community around what is a very cold, mechanical process, the nuances of which excite no one but law school applicants (and not even all of them).