Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The "crazy" Personal Statement  (Read 1270 times)

kman999

• View Profile
The "crazy" Personal Statement
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:59:07 AM »
What are the craziest, most out there, cheesiest personal statements you have written or heard that people have used?  And do you think if someone is applying to a "super-reach" they would benefit from a PS so distinct and outlandish that the adcomms can not help but notice the uniqueness of the applicant. 

** I have heard of a PS in the form of a poem, entirely in iambic pentameter. 

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The "crazy" Personal Statement
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 01:15:21 PM »
The best personal statements, like the best novels or short stories, stand out because of the story, not because of formatting tricks.

As an English major I can appreciate this analogy. I am so used to reading good writing that I can tell not only when writing is bad, but also when a good writer is trying too hard. It is very hard to pull off a PS in a "unique" format.  Even if you were capable of doing it I have no doubt you are talented enough to write a straightforward PS about yourself that will resonate with the adcomms even more.  But more likely than not, I bet the adcomms end up rolling their eyes at gimmicky personal statements.

olderapplicant

• View Profile
Re: The "crazy" Personal Statement
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »
At best, a "crazy" personal statement makes an applicant seem kooky and eccentric. At worst, it makes him/her seem like an obnoxious brat looking for attention. Law is a very conservative profession - things that seem unique or funny (like a PS in iambic pentameter) are more often than not perceived as misguided or foolish.

The PS is the applicant's one chance to set themselves apart from their numbers. The knee-jerk reaction is to be 'unique' in this ridiculous way, right? But that's not what works. The most effective writers are ones that can tell their stories without bells and whistles, who can relay humor or tragedy without dropping "aren't I funny?"-type anvils.

The best personal statements, like the best novels or short stories, stand out because of the story, not because of formatting tricks.

that was really well said.  i knew you were smart before i even look at your lsn page.  i am sure you will get into the top schools, esp. if your PS is as well written as the statement above.  good luck to you.