Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LR-is kicking my butt  (Read 1392 times)

nooyyllib

LR-is kicking my butt
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:12:37 AM »
I've solved about eight real-practice exams from 10 actual official LSAT book after reviewing the logical reasoning bible and i am getting my butt kicked in LR (7-14 wrong per section). is there anyway i can improve this? should i go through LR bible once more and literally memorize every page?

valjean

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: LR-is kicking my butt
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »
If you do not let it get behind you to see your bum it cant kick it

Haha...I get it. He was using an idiomatic expression, but you responded as though he was using the words literally, for comedic effect. Good job.  ::)

OP, I think the benefits of dissecting the LRB again will probably be limited, though it couldn't hurt. Have you gone through the questions you missed and really made sure you understand what the right answer was and why you were tricked? There may be a certain type of question that is giving you particular problems.

Also. are you using "10 Actual, Official LSAT Preptests", the oldest book of 10? I think there's a consensus that there have been significant changes to the test since those tests were administered, so you might want to get either the newest book of ten or some of the most recent tests, to get a better idea where you stand.
Not applying until next cycle...

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:55:25 AM »
If you do not let it get behind you to see your bum it cant kick it

Haha...I get it. He was using an idiomatic expression, but you responded as though he was using the words literally, for comedic effect. Good job.  ::)

FatUncle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 01:55:56 PM »

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 03:50:13 PM »

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »
I've solved about eight real-practice exams from 10 actual official LSAT book after reviewing the logical reasoning bible and i am getting my butt kicked in LR (7-14 wrong per section). is there anyway i can improve this? should i go through LR bible once more and literally memorize every page?

I'll try and get this thread back on track...

It isn't so much about memorization as it is about understanding and internalizing the concepts and methods presented in the LRB.

At this point, I would recommend working through the LRB again, and working through many, many untimed LR questions. I'd try going through a few questions at a time, checking your answers and thoroughly reviewing after every few questions.

Its all about working through questions, understanding why you are making errors, and correcting yourself.

If you've only taken 8 tests, then you've only gone through around 400 questions or so. You've got another 2500 or so questions to go through between the remaining 50 or so preptests that you haven't worked through. Keep working at it! You'll get there!

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:46:52 PM »
I think everyone (save for the odd animal pictures) are pretty spot on. I would also say that it's a process. The more you work at it, the better you get as long as you consistently review your answers, note what mistakes you are making, work at correcting them etc. In my PT's, I started off getting about -7 or -8, and by the end was usually getting about -2 or -3. This didn't translate on my exam for other reasons, but I think as you go along and you get more familiar with the questions, you also get more familiar with the type of wrong answers that you might fall for

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 01:32:30 PM »
If you've only taken 8 tests, then you've only gone through around 400 questions or so. You've got another 2500 or so questions to go through between the remaining 50 or so preptests that you haven't worked through. Keep working at it! You'll get there!

I don't think going through another 2500 questions if you're still not getting it is a good strategy.  REDO the ones you've seen already and get the concepts down before grinding through another huge set of them.

nooyyllib

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:37:33 AM »
earlcat,

thanks for your replies on this thread and the other one. I am just going to reply to you only on this thread. yes i completely agree with you. i dont plan on doing 2500 without making sure my strategy is settled.  about taking a course and studying by myself..

currently i've only gone though LGB and LRB along with 10 actual official lsats book - in this book i still have test 16 and 18 to go.  i did a section of LG (untimed) in 16 and got 5 wrong because my dumbass read the clue backwards (should have been KJ not JK - tiger lion question).  and i did a section of LR untimed and got 7 wrong - which i felt ok with because i would get 7-14 wrong each section.  so i am thinking to myself if my LR seem to improve before october by studying by myself, i will stay away from the course.  if not, i am plan on taking a break from studying by myself and take testmasters course at UVA in preparation for the dec 08 test ( i am not taking that exam - the june 09 one yes, feb 09 if possible).  my question regarding that topic is...how MUCH material does testmasters give me? is it going to be ALL the official practice exams out there?

nooyyllib

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 01:39:29 AM »
weird... i posted an entry and i cant see it...

but. i shall reply again.

thanks earlcat for all your input so far. i'm just going to use this thread from now on, so if you need to close my other thread you can go right ahead.

about the testmasters course and studying by myself. what materials are given by testmasters? i currently have test 18 in 10 actual official lsats left.  if testmasters gives EVERY SINGLE test there was i wouldnt study by myself but i doubt it? do you know which prep tests testmasters use for diagnostics and practice exams? i really don't want to do same questions when i plan on paying 1500 bucks. plus any info on teachers in virginia? good? bad? i actually bought the 10 more actual lsats book, should i go right ahead and solve those after pounding out wrong questions from the 10 actual lsats book? (i've been pounding the wrong anwswers in that book probably 3 times now) 

Thanks.