Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Let's talk about financial aid applications  (Read 506 times)

convicted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Let's talk about financial aid applications
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:09:04 AM »
I'm a little confused about exactly when to submit financial aid documents. I understand that you shouldn't wait to turn in a NeedAccess.org form and FAFSA until after you've been enrolled. But, how early do you do it?

Late this year, I'll be applying to law schools. On January 1st and 2nd, if I haven't been accepted to any schools yet, should I turn in my FAFSA + NeedAccess to all schools I'd applied to? Is this the proper procedure?

Thanks in advance for help clearing up exactly how this works.

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Let's talk about financial aid applications
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 10:19:44 AM »
If you have your FAFSA and NeedAccess ready by then (how the hell you got your W2s that fast is beyond me) turn them at the first opportunity. I sent in all my FAFSA before I had any of my decisions in and it didn't seem to generate any problems for me.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

convicted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:27:46 AM »
From what I understand, you can fill out your FAFSA and NA with anticipated numbers, meaning, you can do it pre-tax and W2's. Am I mistaken?

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »
I don't know, I always just waited until I had my taxes done. I think the important thing is that you can turn in both of them before you've been accepted to all the schools that you've applied to. At the latest that should mean that you will have your Fin. aid paperwork in a week or two into February if you didn't have any SNAFU's with your W2's. I don't think waiting a month for you to get the real numbers, even if you can use estimates, is going to hurt you.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

convicted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:33:18 PM »
Still trying to figure out exactly how the process works... so in early January or February, the NA and FAFSA are submitted, and most likely at this point, you still haven't been accepted to any schools yet.

What happens next? Does a school admit you and then begin discussing financial aid? How does the process work? Could you please clear that up?

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 12:14:17 AM »
Chronology of my 2007-2008 cycle. Yes, you read that right, I retook to late and am waiting it out for the 2008-2009.

1. Get W2's from both of my jobs from the last year, recieved the last one on January 31st, 2008.
2. File tax return, jump for joy for being an old fogey who is considered an independent student. This part is important as it means I won't have to have my parents (admittedly meager) income considered. This just saves me paperwork and time, but for those younger and from more affluent backgrounds than me this could be a problem.
3. Fill out FAFSA, submit it on Feb. 2, 2008 to all of the schools that I am even remotely interested in applying to.
4. Put in applications to law school.
5. Get accepted to law schools, recieve financial aid offers from everywhere I've been accepted.
6. Put deposit in for "Home State U Law"
7. Realize that Home State U is raising tuition by 80% after first year, and another 10% after second year, withdraw from Home State U before signing Master Promissory Note, eat the seat deposit, retake the LSAT and sit on thumb until 2008-2009 cycle.*
8. Still recieve email from Financial Aid offices of schools that I've withdrawn from.

*Results not typical, your experience may vary.

Hope that helps!

UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings

convicted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:42:58 AM »
Thank you very much! That does help. One final question: how much of this financial aid communication was by post office mail, and how much by email?

I'll be traveling overseas without a permanent address during the application process, so I'm really nervous as to how this will work. If law schools aren't willing to communicate with me via email, I'll be in serious trouble.

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:17:12 AM »
Nearly all of mine was by email. Only one school sent me stuff through the mail. If you haven't heard from a school that you plan on attending call their financial aid office, they'll tell you how to get your loan money, remember, you're paying them.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »
wtf?  Schools have deadlines to have this stuff in, and they're really more recommendations than hard cutoffs.  Just wait until you've got a good idea where you want to go (or have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 schools), and start putting this stuff together in march or so.  It's not really that big of a deal.
dont worry guys, i had lotsof drinks, and now i feel better. hth.