Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What guidance to give to first-time recommender  (Read 2574 times)

frankie says relax

• View Profile
What guidance to give to first-time recommender
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:23:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

frankie says relax

• View Profile
Re: What guidance to give to first-time recommender
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 04:12:34 PM »
I've now been sent a rough draft and wonder if anyone would like to look it over.  I don't know too much about what a law school recommendation should look like, particularly in a situation like this.  Thanks.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »
I'll take a look.  PM it ;)

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:29:58 PM »
I just want to add that although a recommendation from a judge that you've done this kind of work for could be great...don't count on it to get you into HLS.  Focus on your UG degree (you'll want a 4.0, excellent softs, etc.) and getting excellent recommendations from profs there.  How is it (assuming that what you say is true and this isn't a flame) that you took the LSAT your freshman year of high school?  That's kind of crazy.  You should have been thinking about the PSATs!

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »
Assuming this isn't a flame, you better hurry up with college, LSAT scores are only good for five years.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »
Assuming this isn't a flame, you better hurry up with college, LSAT scores are only good for five years.

Good point.

frankie says relax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »
Yes, thanks.  If I apply with no time off before law school, I'll just barely make it.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »
I think as another poster said, you're really going to want things like EC's to be honest. Clearly, again if this is not a flame, you're a bright person. But law schools want, imo, and only to a certain extent, well rounded people. They want to know that after you pass the bar, you can get a job because it affects their placement ratings. They want to know that you aren't just a person who can only deal with books, that you can interact with people. It sounds like the stuff you do now shows that but you'll want people to attest to that. In LSN last cycle, if it was not a flame, there was a guy who was 18, had graduated university with a 4.0 and had a 175 or 178 LSAT, but didn't get accepted anywhere he applied (all T6) because they didn't feel he was mature enough. So I would keep that in mind.

frankie says relax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:50:48 PM »

Wouldn't it be sad if time runs out, he takes it again and can't break 170?

Unless your tenses are wrong, I don't see how this could work. You took it freshman year you say. Assuming you took the latest one freshman year and you are graduating as a junior that's two years from that to graduation. Wouldn't that mean you would have to apply during your junior year at Harvard and graduate there early as well? Since fall of your junior year would be more than five years after.....assuming of course that this is not a flame. Why would anyone put themselves through the hell that is an official LSAT administration for no reason?
Best of luck to everyone!