Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 10 Actual LSATs VS 10 More Actual LSATs  (Read 866 times)

nooyyllib

10 Actual LSATs VS 10 More Actual LSATs
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:48:52 AM »
I've been preparing through powerscore bibles and incorporating their methods on to 10 actual lsats book.  I read an article saying that 10 actual lsats (the one i've been practicing with so far) is waste of money.  Is this true? Is is the reason why my scores (timed and untimed) have been in 152-160 range? Is the 10 more actual lsats book better? more accurate?

eruffin

• View Profile
Re: 10 Actual LSATs VS 10 More Actual LSATs
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 11:20:49 AM »
Ten Actual LSAT's book is not a waste.  It contains exactly what it says it contains, 10 LSATs (numbers 7-18, very old).  That said, you should probably also get Ten More, Next Ten, and the most recent tests (order individually from LSAC) if you plan on a really thorough prep.  If you don't want to spend that much money, I got by on Ten Actual and Next Ten along with the 6 or so most recent tests.

People say that the Ten Actual book is useless because the test has changed considerably since these early modern admissions.  Post 2003 or so the logic games are generally easier and the rc is somewhat harder.  The last few admissions have a comparative reading passage in the rc section.  Some of the older game types are quite wild and haven't shown up lately.

Prepping from Ten Actual is fine. I think its good because the more recent tests are, to me at least, logically easier (esp. games).  The scales, however, are tougher-- mitigating this difference.  The comparative difficulty of the more recent test is a point of contention on this board, though.  That they are easier is my opinion.

It is essential that you take some of the most recent (post 2003 or so) tests before the real thing.

For an example of how the newest tests and the Ten Actual tests feel a bit different, check out the June 2007 test.  It is free on LSAC's website.  That admission is the best example of a logically relatively easy test with a wicked scale (-8 for 170 I think).  Compare this to say test no. 7 in Ten Actual where -15 earned a 170.

Best of luck in your prep.
3.65, 175

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:48:14 AM »
nooyy,
I noticed that you have another thread asking about a course.  If you take a course, they'll likely give you all the questions that are in the Actual Official books.

nooyyllib

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:56:15 PM »
hey earlcat, yea i am asking around about the testmasters courses. do you think its a good or a bad idea to take testmasters courses as a final method to improve my score if my score doesnt improve after prepping by myself? I plan on prepping till before the june 09 date and take the TM course as a finishing "touch". since ill probably see the same actual questions do you think it'll be good or bad?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »
hey earlcat, yea i am asking around about the testmasters courses. do you think its a good or a bad idea to take testmasters courses as a final method to improve my score if my score doesnt improve after prepping by myself? I plan on prepping till before the june 09 date and take the TM course as a finishing "touch". since ill probably see the same actual questions do you think it'll be good or bad?

Bad idea. Do class/tutoring stuff on the front end and self-study afterward.  That way you start with some direction and feedback given by an expert, and then after that you can practice and build on what you've learned up to the test.

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »
I couldn't agree more with Earlcat. I took 1/2 of the Powerscore class last year (thats a long story why only 1/2), but I am self-studying now with all those materials, plus the bibles, so its a ton of stuff, and you will find that the concepts and "rules" & "Tricks" settle better in your head the 2nd time around.

LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

GhostofTomJoad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 01:41:03 AM »

The main problem with self-studying prior to the start of any course is that it might reinforce some bad habits.  As a result of this, you might have a hard time adapting to the strategies that your test prep company is trying to ingrain early on in the course.  I agree with EarlCat.  You might want to take the course first and then self-study afterwards.  By doing this, you would allow yourself ample time to master your test prep company's strategies. 

nooyyllib

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 01:56:39 AM »
Hm. I don't know. i've used the LGB and LRB. and if i were to take powerscore instead of testmasters (i heard they both about the same) would it be different? it would technically be reinforcing my self-study with courses ?