Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: legal academia  (Read 486 times)

acatac

• View Profile
legal academia
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:10:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

So I am working on my personal statement and I was wondering if I should mention my desire to enter legal academia. I am concerned, however, if I start talking about my academic interests, that my personal statement will start looking to "statement of purpose"-y. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: legal academia
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:50:26 AM »
Where are you applying to? How do you feel about an LLM or a PhD?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

acatac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:54:56 PM »
I plan on applying to PhD programs, as well. After talking to some profs, it seems that it is very difficult to enter legal academia without a PhD nowadays. I am wondering, however, if I should address my desire to be a professor in the personal statement for law school, or if that is looked down upon. Does anyone know?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:29:30 PM »
I don't think it will hurt, especially if you only cover it but don't make it the centerpiece of your PS. I've always viewed the PS as a time to highlight things that won't otherwise show up on your application and I think career objectives is one area you can touch upon if done right.

The reason I asked where you're applying is because I think talking about how you want to become a law professor will probably play a lot better at certain schools than it will at others. Yale? It will probably fly pretty well. Oklahoma City? Probably not.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.