Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just got off Vandy's waitlist  (Read 1291 times)

Samson, B.

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.38 LSAT: 169
    • View Profile
Just got off Vandy's waitlist
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »
So I was just pulled off of Vandy's waitlist (no money) and need to decide by Friday if I want to attend or not. Before the news I was planning on heading to WnL (w/ $20k a year) but this really throws a wrench in everything...

What's everyone's opinions? Should I go Vandy? I haven't done much research on Vandy and wasn't too sure how they placed in NY/DC/ North East, I do know that they're phenomenal in the south though...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone toured Vandy? I plan on going ASAP but was wondering if any one had their thoughts to share with me.

Thanks
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of 2011 (and proud!)

Aristone07

• View Profile
Re: Just got off Vandy's waitlist
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »
Vanderbilt outshines WL in pretty much every area of the country (perhaps not VA).  WL is an excellent school, but Vanderbilt simply has better job prospects and portability.  Where do you want to work?  If the south, then maybe you should stay with WL.  If anywhere else, go with Vandy.  I dont know your situation money-wise, but 20k is substantial.  But the job prospects jump may make it a wash. 

kev199

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:48:34 PM »
It depends on where you want to work.  If you want D.C or VA, W&L is the way to go.  Any where else, Vandy.
Showing that waitlisters have a chance!

Aristone07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 11:23:01 PM »
I think my advice was similar to yours, Hadorbanim.

MaxtoneFour

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 11:35:47 PM »
You're smoking sherms if you choose W&L over Vandy.
East 1999 is where you'll find me.

2L at Vanderbilt University Law School (Class of 2010)

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 11:57:01 PM »
while Vandy is a good school and arguably one of the best outside of the T14, i'd go with W&L (with $20k/year) if you want to work in DC, VA, Maryland, or nearby southern states. for some reason, W&L students seem like they enjoyed law school (really rare). plus, their alums hire from their own school VERY often

Samson, B.

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.38 LSAT: 169
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 02:53:27 AM »
In regards to work I'd like to end up working in Pittsburgh later in life (hometown) but beforehand I'd really like to work in a much larger metropolitan area (NYC, DC, Chicago, etc).

Moneywise I'm coming out of undergrad about $50k in debt (give or take) and will be solely responsible for paying for law school. I come from a lower-middle class family, and after helping put my twin brother through undergrad (Pitt) and my sister through undergrad and law school a bit (Pitt as well) my parents are for the most part tapped out of funds.

Do you think the increase in what would most likely be my starting salary out of law school at Vandy compared to WnL would more than make up for the $20k WnL has offered me? That's how it seems to me at least.

I've read online that the median starting salary for a Vandy grad is $145k, which sounds incredibly high (this is from Princetonreview and I believe Vault as well--but I could be wrong).

Either way I intend to visit Vandy hopefully on wed, as I have until fri to make my decision.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of 2011 (and proud!)

Put em up!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 07:29:23 AM »
In regards to work I'd like to end up working in Pittsburgh later in life (hometown) but beforehand I'd really like to work in a much larger metropolitan area (NYC, DC, Chicago, etc).

Moneywise I'm coming out of undergrad about $50k in debt (give or take) and will be solely responsible for paying for law school. I come from a lower-middle class family, and after helping put my twin brother through undergrad (Pitt) and my sister through undergrad and law school a bit (Pitt as well) my parents are for the most part tapped out of funds.

Do you think the increase in what would most likely be my starting salary out of law school at Vandy compared to WnL would more than make up for the $20k WnL has offered me? That's how it seems to me at least.

I've read online that the median starting salary for a Vandy grad is $145k, which sounds incredibly high (this is from Princetonreview and I believe Vault as well--but I could be wrong).

Either way I intend to visit Vandy hopefully on wed, as I have until fri to make my decision.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pCrFSA62CQCq6nS7MKjJLaQ&gid=1
The link is for a spreadsheet of the recent Vandy grads job information (very helpfully compiled by jenesaislaw).  There is an updated one that is in excel, but the link for it is down at this point.  It should give you a more realistic idea about salary info.

littlebit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 08:33:57 AM »
Have you received your financial package from Vandy yet?  It could include some need based grants.  It would be worth a call..  I really like both schools but 60K is a big number - it really depends on where you want to work.  Good Luck.

sasfore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:22:57 AM »
Hey, I'll be at W&L in the fall. Vanderbilt is no doubt the better school. Placement wise, it is much stronger. The top 1/3 of either school will have the same job prospects, but biglaw firms go deeper at Vanderbilt.

Cost of Living is extremely high at Vandy, so you'll be 90K more in debt with Vandy. If you don't mind working in DC or Charlotte, I would definitely go to W&L, it places extremely well in these places. It also places pretty decent in NYC.

The numbers for W&L private practice seems quite low. One reason, you probably know, is self selection. W&L is notorious for having students who would rather a take a comfortable job in Charlotte for 100K as opposed to being payed 160K in NYC. Also, W&L has 19% clerkship, and these students are usually pretty high in class rank, and could have received 145K somewhere.

If I were you, I would choose W&L for the southeast with the limited debt, but if you want to go to Chicago, or the Midwest, the 90K at Vandy would be worth it.