Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: One space or two spaces at the end of a sentence?  (Read 4446 times)

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: One space or two spaces at the end of a sentence?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 09:35:34 AM »
I hate the way two look (and was never taught to use two at any point during my education, so I've always used one), but in my office this summer I've had to start using two spaces. Figures that the legal profession would still use the archaic one that there is no longer any justification for  :P
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

sln00

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 11:23:51 AM »
Plagiarism?

http://news.nwapplpkrs.org/f4/may/onespace.html

So... nobody else is bothered by this at all?

Bothered me . . . before reading any other comments, I immediately went to Google and plugged in the first few words to find the source.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »
Yeah, I don't see why it really matters.  Who cares it's a freaking discussion board.
Boalt Hall '10

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 11:43:38 AM »
A person shouldn't pass off another's work as their own.  We all have a reasonable expectation that what a person posts here is their own work.  I don't think it's outlandish to expect someone to source text that isn't theirs, or at least to say "I found this online somewhere."
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 11:48:27 AM »
I don't have any expectations for what people post here.  I don't even assume it is true.  Nor do I read something thinking hmmm these must be this person's thoughts.  Many people just cut and paste something for others to read and that is fine by me.
Boalt Hall '10

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 12:06:20 AM »
I always use seven spaces.       I think that makes be like 3.5 times cooler than everyone else.       If you want to use 1 or 2, you go ahead.       I'm gonna kick it new school.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Tacoma

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 05:38:04 PM »
Plagiarism?

http://news.nwapplpkrs.org/f4/may/onespace.html

So... nobody else is bothered by this at all?

I guess we're all bothered by it, but by now pretty much every one understands that, for now, no solution is possible to the thing..

law-school graduate

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 12:52:46 AM »
The question whether one space or two should go at the end of a sentence goes no where. It's a matter of personal preference.

There's no industry standard. I was the executive editor of my law review, and edited pieces from professors, students, and one federal appellate judge. Some used one space; others two. The judge used one space.

Chicago Manual of Style--what we used on the law review--and pretty much anything to which Bryan Garner attaches his name, advocate for one space. For exactly the reason of that the OP mentioned.

I've personally come to use one space between sentences. It's easier, faster, and--in my opinion--looks better. But I also understand that it's best to conform with the style with which you're working. On the law review we used two spaces, but it was only because that's the law review had always done it. In a year I'm going to clerk for a district-court judge; if the judge uses two spaces, then so will I.

This thread reminds me of the new Garner-Scalia book. Garner advocates for the use of contractions in legal writing. Judges Easterbrook, Kozinski, and others frequently use contractions in their writing. Justice Scalia thinks that they look horrible. Again, it's a matter of personal preference.

One thing that I've learned about the law is that at times, you've got to conform to the way things are done. And not fight it.

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 01:39:12 PM »
Guess I should have clarified ... one space is the standard in modern-day publishing and journalism.That's the industry I was referring to. Law firms do tend to be pedantic as heck, though, so perhaps I shouldn;t be surprised that they go olde English. :-)

The one space assertion has nothing to do with want. Just relaying the rule I worked under for YEARS in my former life. 
Pace '10