Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Callback Questions--any info/advice welcome  (Read 21313 times)

offer

• View Profile
Re: Callback Questions--any info/advice welcome
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2008, 09:37:21 PM »
The boost you'd get is negligible, if any. If you can just as easily schedule the interview sooner, rather than later, sure -- go ahead and do it. But I don't think anybody should feel even a slight amount of pressure to schedule early for "better chances."

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Personally, I would not put off an interview until later unless I had a good reason.

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 10:51:45 PM »
Are the lunch portions of the callback more personal and about shooting the *&^%?  Or should i expect to still get grilled while eating?

antsor5

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2008, 11:20:22 PM »
Are the lunch portions of the callback more personal and about shooting the poo?  Or should i expect to still get grilled while eating?

lunches are mostly just chatting. its especially good cause its often young associates that take you out- people that are more relatable too. i mean, you'll talk about things you've done, but also interests, sports, family, etc, things you might not during and interview. and its also a good time to learn about the firm, relationship between people there/culture. i found before the interview process i thought the lunch/dinner would be the worst part, but i'm really enjoying it. and a real good free meal doesnt hurt

h2xblive

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2008, 11:43:34 PM »
Are the lunch portions of the callback more personal and about shooting the *&^%?  Or should i expect to still get grilled while eating?

Punny!  :D

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 12:08:52 PM »
I'm a 3L who went through numerous callbacks last year. Jacy's advice was great. I'd also add that you should take a quick survey of the attorney's office as you walk in and look for anything that broadcasts that you have a similar interest (photos of kids or dogs, a softball trophy, golf clubs, you get the idea)--these make great fodder for kicking off an interview and making small talk.

Also, don't worry if your interview consists more of get-to-know-you questions than law-related questions. If you hit it off with someone and they don't ask you their pre-written questions, it's probably better that way. A good interview should be more of a conversation and less of a question and answer session.

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008, 12:15:33 PM »
I'm not sure I'd believe anything in Law School Confidential at this point... Particularly not when you've got lots of other useful and relevant sources of info available, including older students and career services.

Maybe I'm not understanding you guys' question, but are you asking whether, once you receive a callback offer, it's better to schedule it earlier rather than later?

The answer is almost certainly no. Big law firms are very good at planning recruitment numbers, and they will not be offering you a callback unless they are seriously interested in hiring you. You're not going to "lose your spot" simply because you interviewed last.

Some firms may do offers on a rolling basis, I really don't know. But even if they do, there's no need to worry. Again, they've planned it out and are interviewing the correct number of people based on their usual acceptance rates.  You are "accounted for," so to speak, and you're not going to fall through the cracks.

Law School Confidential's take on this is completely opposite.  It said that it's almost exactly like rolling admissions, since hiring committees will be meeting weekly or biweekly throughout the semester and making offers after each meeting.  Will you automatically lose your spot if you interview late?  Of course not.  But if its like law school admissions, borderline candidates have a much better chance of getting an offer at the beginning of the semester when there are a lot more spots available.

Just a different perspective for us 2L's to consider...

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008, 12:39:17 PM »
I'm not sure I'd believe anything in Law School Confidential at this point... Particularly not when you've got lots of other useful and relevant sources of info available, including older students and career services.

Maybe I'm not understanding you guys' question, but are you asking whether, once you receive a callback offer, it's better to schedule it earlier rather than later?

The answer is almost certainly no. Big law firms are very good at planning recruitment numbers, and they will not be offering you a callback unless they are seriously interested in hiring you. You're not going to "lose your spot" simply because you interviewed last.

Some firms may do offers on a rolling basis, I really don't know. But even if they do, there's no need to worry. Again, they've planned it out and are interviewing the correct number of people based on their usual acceptance rates.  You are "accounted for," so to speak, and you're not going to fall through the cracks.

Law School Confidential's take on this is completely opposite.  It said that it's almost exactly like rolling admissions, since hiring committees will be meeting weekly or biweekly throughout the semester and making offers after each meeting.  Will you automatically lose your spot if you interview late?  Of course not.  But if its like law school admissions, borderline candidates have a much better chance of getting an offer at the beginning of the semester when there are a lot more spots available.

Just a different perspective for us 2L's to consider...

My career services office recommends scheduling callbacks as early as possible, fwiw.  ;)
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2008, 02:33:16 PM »
is mid-september considered late for a callback?

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2008, 03:20:38 PM »
definitely not. I started callbacks in early September and continued them through beginning of October. Some schools don't even start OCI until early September.

h2xblive

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2008, 04:52:31 PM »
is mid-september considered late for a callback?

No, especially for smaller firms.  Even firms with over 50 attorneys may be in the middle of their callback interviews into late October.