Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Callback Questions--any info/advice welcome  (Read 20826 times)

AnotherLawStudent

• View Profile
Re: Callback Questions--any info/advice welcome
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 12:07:39 PM »
I attended the same job fair and received a callback from a V5 firm on Friday and another one called me on Monday (I had given up hope). My callback from the V10 firm was two hours after the fair was over. I am also waiting to hear from 3 firms, but I am assuming that I will not get a callback from any of them. I was told it could take up to a week, but I doubt they are calling. Too bad they don't care about us if we didn't "make the cut".

Good luck

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 05:00:13 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded with advice in this thread! Follow-up question: how many callbacks are too many? Fellow 1L's, how many callbacks are you planning on accepting?

I went into this thinking I would try and get as many as possible, especially with the economy. But trying to schedule callbacks (without doing two in one day) in other cities will mean missing pretty much the entire first two weeks of school. Is this the norm? Is there a cutoff number? I want to increase my chances of getting an offer, without burning out or making a bad impression due to the chaos.

Is 7-8 in each of your target cities (assuming you have two target cities) too much?

TH14

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 07:46:09 PM »
tag

h2xblive

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 09:19:06 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded with advice in this thread! Follow-up question: how many callbacks are too many? Fellow 1L's, how many callbacks are you planning on accepting?

I went into this thinking I would try and get as many as possible, especially with the economy. But trying to schedule callbacks (without doing two in one day) in other cities will mean missing pretty much the entire first two weeks of school. Is this the norm? Is there a cutoff number? I want to increase my chances of getting an offer, without burning out or making a bad impression due to the chaos.

Is 7-8 in each of your target cities (assuming you have two target cities) too much?

I'm sure one should go on as many callback interviews they feel is necessary to ensure a summer associate offer after their second year.  But like you said, missing too much class is not a good thing.  Do your callbacks automatically imply you must miss class?  I figured callbacks were for just the single applicant, but are callbacks made to a group of students who all come at the same time?  Also, if your callbacks are actually "flybacks" versus "drivebacks" I'm sure that would affect how many callbacks you ultimately accept (flybacks meaning you must miss a full day of class while drivebacks mean you can miss just one or zero classes).

Edit:  I've heard that 50-80% of those going to callback interviews get an offer.  Take those numbers with a single grain or the entire container of salt.

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 10:02:52 PM »
are callbacks usually scheduled during the business week?  It seems that law offices have lawyers working 7 days a week, i was curious if any call backs were scheduled for the weekends.  That would allow me to do several call backs during one trip to NYC...

antsor5

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 10:17:46 PM »
are callbacks usually scheduled during the business week?  It seems that law offices have lawyers working 7 days a week, i was curious if any call backs were scheduled for the weekends.  That would allow me to do several call backs during one trip to NYC...

i dont think any law firms schedule them on weekends.

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
ok, thanks.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 11:07:43 AM »
Not all firms do reimbursement. Some will take care of everything up front. The firm will have a travel agent or hr person or secretary book your flight and hotel, then meals can be charged to the firms account at the hotel. The only thing you would need to be reimbursed for in that case would be cab fare.

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »
Is there any difference between normal callback interviews and callback nights where the firm hosts a cocktail party?  Would the callback night be more likely to result in an offer?  It seems that if you order your schedule around them, and not vice versa, it would show that you're more interested in the firm.

Am i overthinking this?

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 08:35:26 PM »
One more question.  How important is it to have a callback early in the callback interview season?  Are decisions made on a rolling basis?  And is mid to late september considered early, middle or late?

Thanks!