Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Callback Questions--any info/advice welcome  (Read 20803 times)

CamelMan

• View Profile
Re: Callback Questions--any info/advice welcome
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 11:28:57 PM »
Tag.
This post will self-destruct in five, four, three, two....

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:15 PM »
Tag...great info, jacy, thanks!

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 09:18:56 AM »
Also thought I would add this: while this may not be true of all firms, in my experience those that don't invite you to lunch as part of your callback are not seriously considering you as a candidate. This was also the case for some of my friends whose callbacks did not include lunch. Just something to be aware of.

Yeah, I don't think this is true for all firms as I got an offer from a V50 firm but wasn't taken to lunch.
Boalt Hall '10

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 01:11:42 AM »
Also thought I would add this: while this may not be true of all firms, in my experience those that don't invite you to lunch as part of your callback are not seriously considering you as a candidate. This was also the case for some of my friends whose callbacks did not include lunch. Just something to be aware of.

Why would they bother calling you in for a callback if they weren't considering you? What about firms in smaller markets? Smaller firms?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »
tiggety tag
Columbia 3L

kolya

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 07:58:08 PM »

I asked around a bit, and found this not to be the case.  Multiple upper-year friends have been offered from non-lunch callbacks.  They were major markets/firms as well.  I am under the impression that a firm will not fly you out and spend time with you if they think it will be a waste of both your time and theirs.

the royal We

• Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 10:31:36 PM »
tag

pd112aux

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 03:28:18 PM »
Here are some tips from the horse's mouth:

http://www.cooley.com/careers/careers_sub.aspx?templateid=409&sectionid=000000044003&careerid=000037226405&subID=000037862820

They also have some info about procedure/etiquette.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »
Responding to a few questions here:

Attorneys aren't "assigned" questions; it's generally not that formalized.  The hiring committee just wants each of them to form an opinion about whether they want to hire you, and they ask questions that help them decide just that.

I wouldn't fly out on a Friday or saturday for a monday interview.  It probably wouldn't hurt your chances, but it might.  If you want to show an interest in the city, do it on your own dime.  The only time I'd spend an extra day at the hotel is if you have an afternoon callback, which is kind of rare.  This isn't to say that you can't schedule multiple interviews over the course of one trip; absolutely do that.  It's expected an appreciated.  Also, schedule those interviews on different days.  Then you can have some time to hang out, and you're not rushed.

All travel expenses incurred over the course of callbacks are covered.  Parking at the airport, room service, subway fare, etc.  Your receipts probably aren't scrutinized too much, but use discretion.  A $50 dinner is fine, a $200 bottle of wine with dinner is not.

Hookem

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 07:42:19 PM »
Just attended job fair last week. I havent heard anything from 3 firms - I assume that is a definite "no" - has anyone received a call back a week after an interview with a Vault Top 10 firm? Thanks