Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Callback Questions--any info/advice welcome  (Read 22163 times)

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
Callback Questions--any info/advice welcome
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:01 AM »
Can a 3L or graduate tell me a bit about the callback process. I know the overview--meeting with different associates, generally a lunch involved. I'm looking for more details and personal experiences.

How long are you at the firm's offices, and generally how many people do you meet with? Is it split up by different practice areas? Are you meeting with more than one person at once?

What is the lunch usually like? What kinds of questions are you asked at lunch, and who usually attends?

Any overall tips, guidance, etc.?

Also, logistically, if you're put up at a hotel, does the firm pay for your cabs to and from the train station/airport?

Generally when after a callback does a firm make an offer?

Thanks in advance!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Callback Questions--any info/advice welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 12:47:41 PM »
Call backs are generally 1/2 day affairs, usually starting in the AM and ending with lunch (or just after lunch ending with dinner).  I think the am callbacks are more typical.

I usually met with about 6 or so attorneys, 20 minutes or so each, if I remember correctly.  They ended up being somewhat randomly chosen from various practice groups, or its possible that one or two of your interviews are members of the hiring committed that favored your resume and wanted to interview, but I'm not sure on that.  I never met with more than one person at once.

Lunch for me was at a local restaurant.  Sometimes it was within walking distance, sometimes we drove.  I wasn't really asked specific questions at lunch that I remember.  There was some discussion of the firm, and what I wanted to do, but for the most part, it was more personal discussion - where I was from, what I liked to do, and just friendly discussion.  You usually eat lunch with 2 people, sometimes it will be 2 associates, or it may be one associate and one partner.

Tips:  really know the firm well, KNOW why you want to work there, and make sure you find some solid reasons if you can.  Try to figure out, personally, what you're hoping for in a law firm, what kind of people you want to work it, and what kind of environment you want to work in.  I got a LOT of questions on this kind of stuff (in fact, some of the first questions asked in more than a few interviews at a call back was, "so, what are you looking for in a firm?"  The screening interview is all about assessing your qualifications.  The callback is all about assessing your personality and whether a) you will fit in with the firm, but also b) when the firm fits what you want.

Be genuine, outgoing, friendly.  Ask questions.  Be enthusiastic without being cheesy or fake.  And most importantly, be yourself as much as possible.  I found it most helpful to try to focus myself on simply meeting people.  Once I got a callback, I didn't focus on the fact that they were interviewing me.  I tried to focus on interviewing THEM.  I asked a lot of questions on why they were at the firm, what they liked about the firm, if they'd been at the firm a long time, what changes they've seen in the firm, etc.  I think especially the partners I met with appreciated my interest in the firm, the changes, and direction it was heading.  Firms realistically know that 99% of associates will NOT be making partner, but showing an interest in the history and future of the firm really shows you're considering more than a cushy SA gig, but also the type of place in which you want to BEGIN your career.

Sorry for the somewhat rambly response...bar study sucks.  But hopefully you'll find at least a nugget of helpful info.

Oh, and for the logistics issue, I'm not sure, since I never traveled for callbacks and interviewed only in my school's market, but I'd imagine they would reimburse you for that - just make sure you get receipts.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:53:42 PM »
jacy, you are awesome! Thanks so much for this info. I am going to copy it and save it for later.  It was very useful and totally what I was looking for.

Good luck studying!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »
One edit to add, now that I think about it:  if you get a list of interviewers (usually you do, if you don't, ask recruiting if they can have one), look up profiles.  And if you do look them up on the firm's website, it will often tell you how long they've been with the firm.

In that case, you wouldn't ask anything you learned (like how long they've been there).  It's impossible to remember 80 millions little details about 6-10 attorneys' careers.  I made a little notecard with big ticket things I might ask about, and kept it in my purse.  That way, if I stopped off at the restroom I could give a quick glance for the next few interviewers or whatever.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 01:33:57 PM »
This might be a stupid question, Jacy, but are you not supposed to prepare notes/questions for the interview that you can refer to? If I knew of 6-7 interviewers, I would want to write down specific things about their career/history and ask them about it, but I didn't think I'd have to memorize that or sneak a peek at it while they're not there. Is it generally frowned upon?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 02:08:35 PM »
tag
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 02:26:45 PM »
This might be a stupid question, Jacy, but are you not supposed to prepare notes/questions for the interview that you can refer to? If I knew of 6-7 interviewers, I would want to write down specific things about their career/history and ask them about it, but I didn't think I'd have to memorize that or sneak a peek at it while they're not there. Is it generally frowned upon?

I had a portfolio thing with me, and had extra resumes, transcripts, etc.  But I don't think I took a ton of notes or sat and read anything during the interview.  Some people might, but I found it too clunky and formal.  It's a personal decision, I suppose (like much of the interview process, really).  I think it also may come over a bit smoother if you can casually say, "Oh, I remember reading on the website that you recently wrote an article on this subject.  I was very interested in that because I'm considering writing my law review note on a related topic." and follow up with a relevant question, than to have to look down, read it, and then look up and ask about it.

It might work for some people, and hopefully others will chime in with more experiences.  For me, so many of my call back interviews were really so much more casual than I expected, I would've felt out of place with a list of questions.  They really almost all felt to me like getting to know you "chats," with me interviewing them as much as they were interviewing me.

GoldiLawks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »
Also thought I would add this: while this may not be true of all firms, in my experience those that don't invite you to lunch as part of your callback are not seriously considering you as a candidate. This was also the case for some of my friends whose callbacks did not include lunch. Just something to be aware of.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:13:13 PM »
Is it ok to plan a callback over the weekend?  For example, fly in Thursday, interview on Friday, fly out Sunday, but just spend one night (Friday) at the hotel.  The firm pays for the flight and one hotel night, but you spend a few extra days in the city.  Do firms like it because it shows your interest in the city or frown on it because it looks like you're taking advantage of them?
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

tribelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »
Is it ok to plan a callback over the weekend?  For example, fly in Thursday, interview on Friday, fly out Sunday, but just spend one night (Friday) at the hotel.  The firm pays for the flight and one hotel night, but you spend a few extra days in the city.  Do firms like it because it shows your interest in the city or frown on it because it looks like you're taking advantage of them?

Curious about this as well.

Also, when you interview several different attorneys, do they ask generally the same questions?  Or is each set of attorneys responsible for asking a certain set of questions?

Thanks!