Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Callback Questions--any info/advice welcome  (Read 22174 times)

legend233

• View Profile
Re: Callback Questions--any info/advice welcome
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2008, 12:01:27 PM »
I recently had a screening interview that went extremely well. The interviewer flat out said at the end of the interview, "I think you would be a great fit for this firm. I would like to have you called back to meet some of our partners and other associates." He then said the firm has a very large hiring committee and that they would be meeting in the next week or so to discuss callback candidates, so I should be hearing something very soon.

I'm a little confused...was I called back or not? Does the interviewer have the power to make that call on his own? I sent the thank-you in the mail that afternoon. How long should I wait until I give him a call to see where the process is at?

I know this may sound like a common sense question, but I was just curious if anyone else has been in a similar situation. If so, what was the result?

Thanks!

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2008, 12:12:34 PM »
I recently had a screening interview that went extremely well. The interviewer flat out said at the end of the interview, "I think you would be a great fit for this firm. I would like to have you called back to meet some of our partners and other associates." He then said the firm has a very large hiring committee and that they would be meeting in the next week or so to discuss callback candidates, so I should be hearing something very soon.

I'm a little confused...was I called back or not? Does the interviewer have the power to make that call on his own? I sent the thank-you in the mail that afternoon. How long should I wait until I give him a call to see where the process is at?

I know this may sound like a common sense question, but I was just curious if anyone else has been in a similar situation. If so, what was the result?

Thanks!

You have not received a callback yet. His statement that the recruiting committee will be meeting to discus callback offers, and you would be hearing something after that, indicates this. It sounds like, so long as he was being forthright, he will be recommending that you receive a callback. Depending on his seniority and how the committee works, this may or may not be sufficient to get you the callback, though it sounds promising.

Since he said they'd be meeting within the next week or so, you should give it at least a week before calling.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2008, 02:11:53 PM »
Don't read into a statement like this and get your hopes up.  Some interviewers seem to want to be liked, so they tell this to everyone.  This happened to me in one interview, where the guy said a callback was all but assured, and then I got a rejection letter that was dated *the same day as my screening interview.*  This interviewer said the exact same BS to at least 3 other people who interviewed with him, and none of us got callbacks.  So until you get a phone call about coming in for a callback, don't bank on anything.

legend233

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »
Thanks for the response and the advice. This whole process is just so stressful. I guess I'm just trying to find anything that is positive to help me get through all of this.

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2008, 07:59:07 PM »
Does anyone have any insight on whether there is a benefit to going to firm's mass interview sessions/cocktail parties over normal interview/lunch callbacks?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »
Don't read into a statement like this and get your hopes up.  Some interviewers seem to want to be liked, so they tell this to everyone.  This happened to me in one interview, where the guy said a callback was all but assured, and then I got a rejection letter that was dated *the same day as my screening interview.*  This interviewer said the exact same BS to at least 3 other people who interviewed with him, and none of us got callbacks.  So until you get a phone call about coming in for a callback, don't bank on anything.

This happened to me twice...once was the same experience as Jacy recalled (except that they waited a week to tell me) and the other was a sly callback bc the screener told me "i'll see you at the office next week"...i got the call the next day.  So, it's a crapshoot.

I have my first callback on Mon...any last minute tips?  FWIW, I'm scheduled to meet with 4 people (2 partners, 2 associates).
Columbia 3L

legend233

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2008, 01:01:41 PM »
Ok so the previously discussed interview turned into a callback interview. I received the call yesterday. I'm so glad it didn't turn into one of the downer stories that you guys relayed on here. Thanks again for the advice and responses!

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2008, 10:21:29 PM »
Should i bring one copy of every document(references, resume, writing sample, and cover letter) for each person i will be interviewing with at a callback or one set per firm? 

h2xblive

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2008, 10:24:34 PM »
Should i bring one copy of every document(references, resume, writing sample, and cover letter) for each person i will be interviewing with at a callback or one set per firm? 

Bring plenty of copies of everything, unless the firm tells you not to.

I've had a firm say specifically, "You don't need to bring any documents, so don't worry.  We have them all; just bring yourself" while another firm mentions nothing about what to bring.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2008, 11:53:12 AM »
... Starting to wish I hadn't read this thread. I had pre-OCI screening interviews, but scheduled my callbacks to coincide with callbacks from OCI... now starting to think I should have scheduled them sooner...
Vanderbilt 2010