Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wisconsin waitlist arrrggggggh  (Read 4332 times)

jumpman23

• View Profile
    • Email
Wisconsin waitlist arrrggggggh
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:15:44 AM »
I sent an email to the Dean of Admissions just touching base in mid June.   He stated that traditionally in years past the wait-list withers down in late July.  According to LSNs there has been minimal movement w/ only one person taken off the wait-list. 
Any individuals out there still desiring to attend the University of Wisconsin? 
Last year, I believe they were over-enrolled.  I am not really sure about this year though. 

mkchi

• View Profile
Re: Wisconsin waitlist arrrggggggh
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 12:29:33 PM »
I too am waitlisted at UW. I spoke with the dept secretary recently and she confirmed that movement is minimal right now and that the class is considered full. I get the feeling that there isn't going to be much movement because of the economy, but keep in mind that if some of the higher-ranked schools start admitting now into next month, there should be a little movement. Also, because of UW doesn't require a seat deposit, I'd imagine some people are holding out until the last minute (either because of other wait lists, job offers, etc) to say they aren't going. Some new supporting materials were coming in this week, so I'll double check with the admissions dean next week and check in again.

jumpman23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 01:06:14 PM »
I too am waitlisted at UW. I spoke with the dept secretary recently and she confirmed that movement is minimal right now and that the class is considered full. I get the feeling that there isn't going to be much movement because of the economy, but keep in mind that if some of the higher-ranked schools start admitting now into next month, there should be a little movement. Also, because of UW doesn't require a seat deposit, I'd imagine some people are holding out until the last minute (either because of other wait lists, job offers, etc) to say they aren't going. Some new supporting materials were coming in this week, so I'll double check with the admissions dean next week and check in again.
I am annoyed that UW does not have a seat deposit deadline. 
I wish they had one,  it would make things a little easier to deal with on my end.  Instead have to wait it out longer.  Of course, the primary objective of seat deposit deadlines is not to appease those on the wait-list. 
  I believe on LSN's some individuals have been rejected from the wait-list, so they have been making some adjustments, not sure if those individuals expressed an interest in the Law School though.  But, the admissions dean, stated that an individual could be taken off the wait-list up until the first day of classes ( of course all dependent on someone not showing up for whatever reason). 

sasfore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »
even though they don't have a deposit deadline .. they annoy the crap out of you .. i was deposited at another school .. so wisconsin called me every week to see what i decide to do and saying i need to make a decision on my financial aid .. (I withdrew already) .. so even though there is not a seat deposit, they do act on students who aren't sure

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:56:35 PM »
I am annoyed that UW does not have a seat deposit deadline. 
I wish they had one,  it would make things a little easier to deal with on my end.  Instead have to wait it out longer.  Of course, the primary objective of seat deposit deadlines is not to appease those on the wait-list. 
  I believe on LSN's some individuals have been rejected from the wait-list, so they have been making some adjustments, not sure if those individuals expressed an interest in the Law School though.  But, the admissions dean, stated that an individual could be taken off the wait-list up until the first day of classes ( of course all dependent on someone not showing up for whatever reason). 

I am getting the same info and treatment at Oklahoma...  I am thinking that if someone doesn't show up for orientation then they will start making phone calls.  The admissions dept said as much when I spoke with them last week.  They told me "we are where we need to be for the fall semester as of now." I interpret that as we are overbooked now and waiting for some people to drop or get off waitlists at better schools, then if enough of those people happen, we might call... 

I am making plans to go to Arkansas but keeping my house in Norman, will wait to put it up for rent until September when I know I am staying at Arkansas.  I really don't want to move twice in a month, but if OU calls I will make the fastest move in history of mankind!
University of Oklahoma '11

jumpman23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 08:30:20 PM »

I called last week and spoke w/ a member of the admissions staff, she actually just graduated this spring from UW Law School.   She stated that currently their enrollment is full and that they have not used their wait list yet.  I don't believe she was giving me accurate information though, b/c LSN has stated there has been some movement on the wait-list.  As of now I am leaving my comfort zone of the Midwest and headed down south for law school, but will wait it out for Wisconsin until the 1st day of classes.

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 08:48:02 PM »

I called last week and spoke w/ a member of the admissions staff, she actually just graduated this spring from UW Law School.   She stated that currently their enrollment is full and that they have not used their wait list yet.  I don't believe she was giving me accurate information though, b/c LSN has stated there has been some movement on the wait-list.  As of now I am leaving my comfort zone of the Midwest and headed down south for law school, but will wait it out for Wisconsin until the 1st day of classes.

good luck to both of us...
University of Oklahoma '11

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 11:00:50 PM »
jumpman: why would you think there would be any motive on the part of WI admissions to deceive you and the LSN poster to be telling the truth?  The opposite is more likely.  WI's waitlist is VERY Hard to get off of.  The lack of a seat deposit contributes to the problem as well.