Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many MBE questions are you going to do total before the bar?  (Read 6199 times)

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
Re: How many MBE questions are you going to do total before the bar?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »
Budlaw, Mqt, and pickle: how many would you say you've done and reviewed an answer explanation?  Do you find it helpful to do them without looking at an explanation?

I find that most of the ones I am missing, I can't just look at the right answer and know why I missed it, I have to review an explanation. 

Reviewing the explanations is far more important than the volume of questions completed.  Even if I instantly recognize why I got a question wrong (b/c I answered too quickly or didn't pay attention to some minor detail in the question), I still review the reasoning to reinforce it. 

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »
So you guys have done 1200 and reviewed explanations?  That is insane.

I just did 50, so now I am up to 400 or so.  I thought I did really horrible, I couldn't even keep my eyes open.  But I got 84%, which would come out to a 176 on the full test.  I know that is an anamoly, but it is still an ego boost.

RockyMountainHighMama

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 01:56:29 PM »
I'm at about 1800 now, with a goal to have done about 2100 by next week; there's a slump period between 1200 and 1500, but after that you get a lot quicker/better at them. I wouldn't want to have only seen 400 or so before the test. I've been doing 7 essays in the morning, and 51 MBEs in the afternoon, and a MPT + 100 MBEs every Wednesday. Sorry if that doesn't make you feel better, but perhaps you don't need this kind of rigor. I am an old person.

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 02:30:39 PM »
I've been doing 7 essays in the morning, and 51 MBEs in the afternoon, and a MPT + 100 MBEs every Wednesday.

:o  Holy Crap! 

I plan to study every morning, but end up just putzing around, then do some studying of outlines and MBEs in the afternoon, then watch TV and have a few beers in the evening.     

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 02:53:31 PM »
I've been doing 7 essays in the morning, and 51 MBEs in the afternoon, and a MPT + 100 MBEs every Wednesday.

I plan to study every morning, but end up just putzing around, then do some studying of outlines and MBEs in the afternoon, then watch TV and have a few beers in the evening.     

This has been my schedule too, mqt.  Glad someone else is on the more "relaxed" plan.  It's not that I intend to waste most of a day, but it's just been sort of happening lately. 

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 04:03:24 PM »

This has been my schedule too, mqt.  Glad someone else is on the more "relaxed" plan.  It's not that I intend to waste most of a day, but it's just been sort of happening lately. 

And today is especially bad.  It's already well into the afternoon and I'm still putzing around.  Ok.  Off to work, I swear!

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 05:59:30 PM »
I hit a wall after I did the simulated MBE last Wednesday. Since that point, I have scraped the Paced Program and been following my own schedule. I have done less MBE questions and focused more on making up flashcards in order to memorize black letter law.

This week I have done and am planning to do two sets of flashcards per day followed by 25 mixed topic questions. On the weekend I will mix up my entire lot of flashcards, review them all, and do 6 practice essays each day. On Monday, I will do a morning session simulated MBE and then pack it in.

BTW, just to answer the OP's question, I have done approximately 1000 MBE questions so far and have about 250 more I plan to do, so I'll end up with close to 1300 questions completed when its all said and done.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »

I just did 50, so now I am up to 400 or so.  I thought I did really horrible, I couldn't even keep my eyes open.  But I got 84%, which would come out to a 176 on the full test.  I know that is an anamoly, but it is still an ego boost.

I will have done 1200 when I take my last practice MBE tomorrow. But its still not anywhere near what PMBR recommended. (and by the way.... having taken PMBR's practice MBE, and a real previously released MBE, I've got to say that PMBR's is a lot harder than the actual MBEs)

To echo everyone else, everyone learns differently, so you don't have to do that many practice questions just so long as you can learn the material. Just doing practice questions does you no good unless you understand the material, and WHY you got it right, or WHY you got it wrong. This isn't like the LSAT.

Also, I've pretty much stopped being insane on my studying too. I'll do a simulated MBE tomorrow, but for the past week and a half,(and for the rest of this week) I've just been reading over materials, and looking at old Georgia essays and their answers. Because lets face it, if we don't know the law at this point, we're not going to learn it in 5 days.

For those of you taking the MPT: How are you approaching this? I have a "mpt trainer" course, but I've found that its basically for idiots who don't know how to write a closed memo (or client letter, or whatever it is they ask you to draft). So I basically scrapped it. I think the best thing to do with this is just know what the format of the MPT is, and then don't be freaked out when you only have 90 minutes to do it. It seems like a fairly straightforward task in that you are given the law, and then you have to do a task.

Any thoughts out there?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 06:16:04 PM »

I will have done 1200 when I take my last practice MBE tomorrow. But its still not anywhere near what PMBR recommended. (and by the way.... having taken PMBR's practice MBE, and a real previously released MBE, I've got to say that PMBR's is a lot harder than the actual MBEs)

To echo everyone else, everyone learns differently, so you don't have to do that many practice questions just so long as you can learn the material. Just doing practice questions does you no good unless you understand the material, and WHY you got it right, or WHY you got it wrong. This isn't like the LSAT.

Also, I've pretty much stopped being insane on my studying too. I'll do a simulated MBE tomorrow, but for the past week and a half,(and for the rest of this week) I've just been reading over materials, and looking at old Georgia essays and their answers. Because lets face it, if we don't know the law at this point, we're not going to learn it in 5 days.

For those of you taking the MPT: How are you approaching this? I have a "mpt trainer" course, but I've found that its basically for idiots who don't know how to write a closed memo (or client letter, or whatever it is they ask you to draft). So I basically scrapped it. I think the best thing to do with this is just know what the format of the MPT is, and then don't be freaked out when you only have 90 minutes to do it. It seems like a fairly straightforward task in that you are given the law, and then you have to do a task.

Any thoughts out there?

Bar/Bri gave us a book of old MPTs.  I ran through a "client letter" one the other day, reading the library and outlining an answer, just to get into the swing of the "normal" legal analysis again.  I'll probably just read through some of their example formats that are foreign to me (like the ones that ask you to draft a contract or a will) just so I've seen it.  But otherwise, I'm not going to do much.  I don't see how you can do much.

The only good advice Bar/Bri gave is to read the call of the question first in the memo/assignment (e.g. what issues you have to address), and then go right to the library and outline the "law" on the issue, and then, last, read the facts.  That's pretty much the only way I see to do it within 90 minutes, but the knee jerk reaction to go through in order and read the facts second (since they come before the law).

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 02:21:40 PM »

Any thoughts out there?

Bar/Bri gave us a book of old MPTs.  I ran through a "client letter" one the other day, reading the library and outlining an answer, just to get into the swing of the "normal" legal analysis again.  I'll probably just read through some of their example formats that are foreign to me (like the ones that ask you to draft a contract or a will) just so I've seen it.  But otherwise, I'm not going to do much.  I don't see how you can do much.

The only good advice Bar/Bri gave is to read the call of the question first in the memo/assignment (e.g. what issues you have to address), and then go right to the library and outline the "law" on the issue, and then, last, read the facts.  That's pretty much the only way I see to do it within 90 minutes, but the knee jerk reaction to go through in order and read the facts second (since they come before the law).

Yeah that pretty much how I planned on doing it.

BTW, if I hear "call of the question" ever again after the Bar Exam, I think I might punch someone.  ;)