Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: book totin' question  (Read 7393 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: book totin' question
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 08:53:05 AM »

Seriously, leave it all at school. If you can compartmentalize your life (school gets this many hours with no interruption, then you go home and do what you want) you will have much more free time to take advantage of, instead of squandered time.  I suggest finding a good place at school you can work at, and staying 'til you're done.  You might have a couple late nights, but there's no avoiding that any way you look at it.  I was able to make it home for dinner and cook for myself pretty much all the time.  If I thought it might go late, I brought a sandwich and maybe a banana.  Instant oatmeal packets are also your best friend.  I never bring more than one book anywhere; usually all I have is a spiral notebook, some pens and a couple highlighters.  The wonderfulness of this approach cannot be overstated, especially as you watch your sweaty friends lumber in late to class and try to squeak by the professor with four law books on their backs.

People I know who worked at school a lot found the compartmentalization very difficult simply because they weren't productive at school.  The library can be a horrifically distracting place, with classmates wandering around, talking/chatting, etc.

If this is really the plan, then you need to stake out the library ASAP when you start.  Look for the quietest corners; look and see if there's an undergrad library near by, etc.

I'm also in the "get a backpack" camp.  I was strongly resisting it (kicking and screaming) last year, as you can see by the "girls, let's talk laptop bags" thread, but in the end I gave in to the inevitable.  You see it every cycle, women talking about how they want to get a cute bag and then later getting a backpack.  You don't necessarily have to get a big ole camping bag, just a regular laptop backpack with good padding.  Last year I tried to do all the work for at least one class at school, so that I was only carrying two books back and forth at most.  I also have a small laptop (12 inch), so that helps.  Ebags.com is a good site for reviews and deals on bags.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »
Here's a good lifting program if you're interested.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

It works. I'm deadlifting 300+ lbs. at 160 (ectomorph build).

I will second this.  This is vastly better than what most people in gyms do.

Also, the ectomorph build is the best for deadlifting.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 10:31:15 AM »

It's good to be appreciated.

I don't live super-close, but I commute by bike.  It's 25 minutes to school by metro, 15 by bike.  There are a couple hills, so that's why I'm super careful about keeping carrying weight down.  It sucks having to struggle up those things with a full pack.

Are you in DC? You can PM if you want, or not answer -- I was just curious because of the use of "metro" rather than "subway".

People I know who worked at school a lot found the compartmentalization very difficult simply because they weren't productive at school.  The library can be a horrifically distracting place, with classmates wandering around, talking/chatting, etc.

If this is really the plan, then you need to stake out the library ASAP when you start.  Look for the quietest corners; look and see if there's an undergrad library near by, etc.

Oh, I definitely dealt with this problem in UG, and after 4 years I got it down to a science.  The thing is, I had decided that I needed to be an on-campus studier regardless of the backpack dilemma because I get even more distracted at home, with not only people milling around and internet to surf but also art projects, whatever's shown up from Netflix, cooking, cleaning . . . I am such a terrible procrastinator that the library is the lesser of two evils, as I will seriously bake a loaf of bread from scratch and scrub my whole bathroom if it will put off homework.

At least I can f-ing think.

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »
I guess I just don't get the whole "I need a pretty bag thing." It reminds me of the girls in UG wearing stilettos to school! Ha, give me a break.  I mean to each her own and all, but I think you should at least try to become reasonably adjusted to the idea that you MIGHT end up wanting something that you can lug books home in. Not only that, but from some students I've talked to, the library and on-campus studying can become depressing.  Some say that they end up avoiding the library like the plague mid-semester and have to re-adjust their entire routine... just a thought, really.

And, IMO, fashion sense is more readily and adequately portrayed by the garments, shoes, make-up, hair "package" than by your "book bag."  I mean if we were talking handbags, I could see the dilemma, but we're talking about 30+ lbs of casebooks/computer/supplies!!!  Not what I call a good time.

The locker thing is an option, sure, but how big is this thing anyway?!?!  From the casebooks I have, I am skeptical that they could all fit in an average locker along with other school necessities... that could just be an exaggeration of course.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

(this sentence intentionally left blank).
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2008, 04:03:53 PM »
I'm kind of into this one: http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-expandable-trek-titanium.html

It's expandable, so big enough for everything when needed, but not permanently ginormous to make you look like an ant carrying a nibble of sandwich back to the queen. I'd get the orange, of course.

This is the bag I have. It holds a lot (yet I still always have to carry at least one casebook). People are always like "why are you carrying around so much *&^%?"

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2008, 04:24:51 PM »
I'm kind of into this one: http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-expandable-trek-titanium.html

It's expandable, so big enough for everything when needed, but not permanently ginormous to make you look like an ant carrying a nibble of sandwich back to the queen. I'd get the orange, of course.

This is the bag I have. It holds a lot (yet I still always have to carry at least one casebook). People are always like "why are you carrying around so much poo?"

The worst one are the people at my school who carry BOTH a backpack and a laptop bag. Christ get a bigger bag or don't carry so much *&^%. Your cars have trunks. That's my "locker".
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2008, 04:53:30 PM »

This is the bag I have. It holds a lot (yet I still always have to carry at least one casebook). People are always like "why are you carrying around so much poo?"

The worst one are the people at my school who carry BOTH a backpack and a laptop bag. Christ get a bigger bag or don't carry so much *&^%. Your cars have trunks. That's my "locker".

A lot of girls at my school have a back pack, and a laptop bag, and a huge purse. It takes up so much room in class.

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »
This dilemma is just another way in which law school does not prepare you for firm life.  If they were really training you to be a lawyer, they would have operations assistants bring your books to class for you.  Don't even get me started on law schools making you take tests without an administrative assistant present. 

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
I got a tumi briefcase.  It was the only one where the computer part did not expand, but the other side did.  I like it a lot.  It gets tons of use and pretty much still looks new.  That said, I do all of my work at school, or bring at most one or two books home at a time.  It can get heavy, but my back seems to be doing ok, so eh.

http://www.tumi.com/category_search/expandable_organizer_computer_brief/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=111464

I guess they call it their "Alpha" line now.  It's pretty classic.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.