Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Some questions about law school for part-timers  (Read 1705 times)

pnigro

• View Profile
    • Email
Some questions about law school for part-timers
« on: July 19, 2008, 11:49:30 PM »
For the last 6-7 months I've been seriously considering going to law school.  Full-time is not an option for me as I have a full-time job, a foster son and a wedding in October.  I'm not the least bit interested in attending a top tier law school, nor would I get in with my grades.  Sadly I spent the bulk of my college career partying and focusing on my fraternity rather than hitting the books.  I just wanted to ask a few questions to those of you applying or already in law school:

My UGPA was a 2.74.  That was 5 years ago.  I've taken several timed practice LSAT tests and my scores were in the 150-160 range.  Recently I bought the Kaplan LSAT prep premium book and plan on following a regimented study schedule between now and the October LSAT.  The two schools I've looked at that fit my interests are Barry and Florida Coastal Law.  That LSAC acceptance estimator seemed to think I'd have a very good chance (much better than 75%) of getting into those schools.  Does anyone go to those schools that could offer an opinion of my chances?

Also, I never had the best study habits in college.  I'm a little nervous about being able to spend almost every waking hour studying law.  I work with the law each and every day and I never had too difficult of a time picking it up.  I guess it's the immersion aspect of it.  I've been in Dependency law for 2 years and it comes easy to me, but a lawyer in my office gave me a copy of Prosser's Torts and it's practically all greek to me.  Should this be a huge concern for me?  Did anyone else have these fears/concerns/problems going into law school?  Thanks.

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about law school for part-timers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 01:52:36 AM »
What is the motivation for you to go to Law School? I am not asking to be rude, it would just give the readers a better idea of where you are coming from.

You say you have a poor GPA, average LSAT, and poor study skills, and you are concerned about being immersed in law every minute of every day at law school...this doesn't bode well for you. Law school isn't for everyone.

I wouldn't worry about not understanding the Torts/contracts materials right now, that is why you go to law school, to learn that stuff.

Study habits need to be rectified before you go to law school, or else you will sink miserably and end up bottom of your class at a TTT. That is somewhere NO ONE wants to be.
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

pnigro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 10:29:12 AM »
Since I've been involved in child welfare and dependency law I've been interested in learning more about the law in general.  My fiance and I became licensed foster parents in March, 07 and we took in an incredible little boy who was removed from his mother for severe neglect and failure to thrive.  It's been more than 8 months since we took him in and his case is not going well.  I'm used to seeing kids get lost in "the system" and I'm used to seeing the Department of Children and Families in Florida mess around with kids lives and always try to take the easy way out on cases.  Part of my job right now is to try and make sure these things don't happen anymore.  But when it hit home with our foster son is when I really started thinking about law seriously.  As I said before, I have no desire to work in a corporate law firm or defend scum of the earth clients for a living.  I just realize that the only way to affect change and try to make sure that what is happening to my family doesn't happen to others is to pursue law school.  That's my motivation in a nutshell.

As to my grades and study habits I should offer some clarification.  In college, I graduated 5 years ago, I was barely motivated beyond simply getting out of schooland having a good time while I was there.  A lot has changed for me since.  I'll be 28 by the time I'm a 1L.  I have a fiance who is 100% behind me going to law school.  I certainly have the time.  I haven't been in school for awhile and the notion of studying for 14 hours a day is a little worrisome.  It's not to say I'm not motivated to do it.  I was just looking for some advice on how to prepare and some study methods people used to get themselves up for that kind of task.  Oh and I have only just begun to prepare for the LSAT but my target score is 165+.  If Kaplan can't help me bring my current scoring average up by 5-10 points then that book probably wasn't worth it to begin with.

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:17:32 AM »
Very honorable reason.

My 2cents...take the Testmasters or Powerscore prep class. It is expensive, but everyone here will tell you the same thing, it is worth every penny. I would recommend Powerscore over Testmasters, just because you should also get the Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles...those are essential materials for LSAT prep.

A 165 is certainly achievable, but you will need to dedicate time to studying for it. You get what you put it basically. As for law school and studying, I am not qualified to really offer any advice yet since i am a 0L, maybe someone else who is a 1L or 2L can offer up some advice to you.

Good luck with your pursuit, PM me if you have any specific questions on how to study for the LSAT.

LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 11:22:06 AM »
Iím part-time starting my fourth year of  law school. Iíll try to give you some insight. I donít work fulltime however, I have a small business and a PT clerk job but even those donít amount to 40 hours a week. So my advice on what its like to go PT and work FT comes mostly from the experiences of my friends at school, the majority of which work fulltime.

You wonít need to study 14 hours a day, but you will need to spend the majority of your free time studying and reading. And when exams come you should take your vacation time because you will need to study fulltime for the 2-3 weeks leading up to exams. You will likely need to spend most of Saturday and Sunday studying and probably 2-3 hours a night 4 nights a week after class studying. These are rough estimates, its really going to depend on how disciplined you are (ie. No procrastination) how quickly you read and how quickly you pick up the subjects. This is just for the first year, itís the most time consuming by far because your adjusting to everything being new.

Your free time and thus your time with your family will be severally limited the first year, not quite as bad year two and by years three and four you should have much more free time (because by then you know how to ďdoĒ law school well enough that your must faster.)

My friends still have time for their families, but they put in long hours and work smart 100% of the time. The first year is going to be rough, and will likely put some strain on your relationship (this has happened to all my friends, but no one has broke up or anything) Both you are your partner will have to adjust to the law school thing, its takes a toll on both of you. Your partner is going to have to step up and take on more of the rolls you did around the house in the past because you need all the spare time you can get for school. Itís a team effort.

All that being said, law school will also be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life. I have met the best friends I have ever had in law school. You bond because you are all going through the same thing.

Anyway hoped this helped describe it somewhat.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

LawSchoolCutie

• Sr. Citizen
  • photoshoot with Bryan D. Socal Photography
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sx1ba8emoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:18:11 AM »
This relieves me somewhat. I'm sitting here awake at 3 am wondering how im going to pay for everything as in bills and still come out on top in school. I guess I will just have to work smart 100% of the time.
GPA: 3.22
GPA in Major 3.8
LSAT Practice Highest Score 152
LSAT Goal Score at least 165