Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR from an Alumnus  (Read 1260 times)

Clearbluewater33

• View Profile
LOR from an Alumnus
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:44:09 PM »
Does having a LOR from an alumnus of the University you're apply to (but not the law school) give you any sort of an edge?  I'm applying to joint M.Div/JD programs and one of my recs has his m.div/phd from one of the schools (Chicago) and my other rec has her PhD from the history program at the other school Im applying to (Emory). I will probably get another letter of rec from one of my coworkers who is a graduate of Emory's theological school.  Is that going to help or is just an interesting side note?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LOR from an Alumnus
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »
I'm always inclined to say side note with these sorts of things.

I've seen a fair number of people get LoRs from attorneys that attended whatever school they're applying to. In every case I can recall, the alumni letter didn't really seem to help any.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 05:49:07 PM »
It won't hurt (unless of course you go to someone just BECAUSE they are an alum of the school and then they write a poor rec....that can hurt)
Best of luck to everyone!

MatchbookTrick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 12:07:07 AM »
It won't hurt (unless of course you go to someone just BECAUSE they are an alum of the school and then they write a poor rec....that can hurt)

What about in regards to a targeted/general LOR? For example, one of my old English professors who's writing me a recommendation is an alum of one of the schools where I'm applying. Since he's not in the legal field, would it matter if he wrote me a targeted letter?

snarkygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:48:09 PM »
i think if they know you well and it's a good letter, it is an asset.  it also depends on the school.  i think there are some schools that like this sort of thing.