Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The "N-Word" debate?  (Read 2376 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
Re: The "N-Word" debate?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:13:06 PM »

aye find it humorous and sad that some african americans don't reflect upon themselves when they use the term n44437...perhaps we, trini's understand that others perception is like dropping the soap...this chief took it down a notch...he dropped the soap...now he gonna pay...what is it really worth?  nothing, mon....aye've heard brothers use n44437 in chicago...aye hear it in nyc...all over the usa...aye see island people look at the man who degrades himself like..."he dropped the soap". you don't want to touch that...no class...and when european americans use it...just as bad...but in the usa...it okay???...it not okay...trust me...ja rastafari...don't be negative...don't step back...step up.

bless yourself...don't undress yourself.

we laughing at ya.  :-\

must be that american-settlement mentality that it's somethin' when it really reflects as nothing...it's backward thinking...teach your children...don't preach your children.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/07/27/2008-07-27_racial_slur_so_what_two_police_officers_.html

Racial slur? So what! Two police officers say black chief didn't care
BY JOHN MARZULLI
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 11:11 PM

Pace for News

Cops Shelron Smikle (l.), 28, and Blanch O’Neal, 38, pictured here at their lawyer’s office, plan to sue NYPD.

Cairo for News

The cops say when Assistant Chief Gerald Nelson (above) found out they had lodged a complaint about a black sergeant’s N-word-laced rant, Nelson repeated the N-word.
Two black cops who reported a boss for using a racial slur say they were viciously chewed out by an African-American chief in the NYPD and are now planning a lawsuit.

Assistant Chief Gerald Nelson went ballistic after Officer Shelron Smikle made a June 10 report to the Internal Affairs Bureau charging that a black sergeant at the 83rd Precinct dropped the N-bomb on him.

Two days later, Nelson, the commander of Patrol Borough Brooklyn North, ordered Smikle, 28, and his partner, Blanch O'Neal, 38, to his office, they told the Daily News in an interview.

"'We have friends in IAB, and you're full of s--t!'" Nelson screamed, according to Smikle and O'Neal. "So what, he [the sergeant] called you a n----r? If you can't handle it, resign!'"

Smikle, who was born on the Caribbean island of Jamaica, said he also complained that the sergeant told him "to go back to [his] country" and referred to him as a "dollar van driver."

"So what, he said that to you?" Nelson allegedly responded.

"'Get the f--k out of my office! It doesn't matter if this conversation is being recorded. I'm not saying anything wrong.'"

The cops said they were shocked by Nelson's alleged racial insensitivity in repeating the slur.

"It's not acceptable for a chief in charge ... to say that," Smikle said. "It's a slap in the face."

The two cops have hired lawyer Eric Sanders of the firm Jeffrey Goldberg in Lake Success, L.I., to file a federal complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, a precursor to filing a lawsuit.

"Chief Nelson is African-American, and we would expect as a police executive he would have responded differently," Sanders said.

"If he feels this way, what does it say about how they treat the public in Brooklyn North?"

O'Neal and Smikle say the problem started when they were dumped on foot patrol on a 97-degree day because the keys to their radio car were missing, which they say was due to a prank.

A black sergeant lit into Smikle for being in the stationhouse instead of being out in the streets and allegedly spewed racial epithets that were overheard by O'Neal.

Later that day, the cops fell sick from heat exhaustion, then called the IAB and the office of equal employment opportunity to lodge complaints about the sergeant.

Nelson acknowledged that he reamed the cops for going to the IAB, told them their allegations were false and threw them out of his office.

He adamantly denies he used the N-word, however.

"I never use that language," Nelson said. "That is an absolute lie. You guys print whatever you like, but if you print that, you're printing a lie."

Nelson also warned that the cops' complaints would get them in more trouble.

"Now I have to open an investigation. If I see this in the paper, I will discipline them again. I don't need this in my career," he told The News. "But it comes with the territory."

Nelson's mouth has landed him in hot water before.

When he was in charge of the school-safety division in 2005, he allegedly referred to angry parents as "b-----s" at a meeting attended by 850 school-safety agents. The agents' union received dozens of complaints, but Nelson denied making the statements.

If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 12:25:50 AM »
aye hear this chief got more than a hand slap and the soap knocked out...much more...why?

20+ Andrew Hill Albums

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 08:58:48 AM »
I like Nas' new album - he really breaks that word down.

What I didn't like was the white chick on The View last week who broke down crying during the debate about it.  WTF???
I actually agree with the point she was trying to make. If you are white and you are trying to raise race-neutral, color-blind kids, the existence of a double-standard in language (especially one involving such an historical heinous word as "n-word") is a hindrance.

In the clips I saw of that show Sherry's stupidity went unchecked--basically justifying the use of the word by saying "That's how I was raised" is a cop-out. I was surprised at Whoopi's response.

But enough about the View. People are allowed to say whatever they want, but I don't think the use of that word by anyone is healthy for society.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 12:44:07 AM »
I like Nas' new album - he really breaks that word down.

What I didn't like was the white chick on The View last week who broke down crying during the debate about it.  WTF???
I actually agree with the point she was trying to make. If you are white and you are trying to raise race-neutral, color-blind kids, the existence of a double-standard in language (especially one involving such an historical heinous word as "n-word") is a hindrance.

In the clips I saw of that show Sherry's stupidity went unchecked--basically justifying the use of the word by saying "That's how I was raised" is a cop-out. I was surprised at Whoopi's response.

But enough about the View. People are allowed to say whatever they want, but I don't think the use of that word by anyone is healthy for society.

aye agree, mon.

acefreely

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 01:15:23 AM »
The "N" word is a vulgar and disgusting word that I would never repeat around my children (because of the negative connotations). I consider it worse than the "F" word of which I do occasionally slip. And certainly far less than the "S" word of which my children know, (sorry world), but know better of repeating.

I will not use the word because I don't want my children to associate the word with the color of someone's skin. I think I have my "friends" trained with their vocabulary, but my 6 year-old keeps repeating lyrics from the radio and CDs. Luckily she hasn't asked about the meaning of THAT word yet...but she will.

I like to listen to popular music...but as a parent (primary duty) I think I'll have to switch to "talk radio"...thoughts?