Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: work experience question  (Read 660 times)

flip side

• View Profile
work experience question
« on: July 19, 2008, 07:11:18 PM »
hey y'all,

i have worked for the gov. for 2 yrs. and am planning on applying for the 09-10 cycle.  for the next year (from now until aug. 09) i'm wondering whether it would improve my resume/application if i switched to another job, likely still with government but possibly with a nonprofit.  or, does it look bad to have worked somewhere for only 2 yrs., then another place for only 1?

i'm ambivalent about my current job (some pluses, many minuses), so even if i weren't going to law school next yr. i'd probably be on the fence of whether it is worth it to stay another yr or not.  but, if there is something clearly better/worse for my application, of course i'll do that. 

thanks so much for yr. thoughts!

zdub378

• View Profile
Re: work experience question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:29:57 PM »
I don't think it will matter, unless the new job is lower on the food chain.  Then it might look like you were punished or forced out.  Otherwise, I don't think they care.  The only time I've ever heard of job switching being a problem was when someone got a new job every six months or so, and without any sort of strategic plan. 

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 05:22:24 PM »
I don't think it matters either way. From personal experience, I'd say stick with your current position. I was thinking about switching jobs for more of a challenge a little over a year ago. I am so glad I decided against it. Your cycle will be stressful and potentially draining. Throwing in a job search and adjusting to a new job in a different sector into the mix may not be the best thing. I was able to work on my ps at lunch and get a lot of the phonecalls to schools and such done here.

Do what you're comfortable with but not because of the impact you think it will have on your cycle.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 05:15:59 AM »
Do whatever you're happiest with.

I think full time work experience is one of the better soft factors you can have. Beyond that, however, I don't think it much matters what your history looks like unless you were fired for stealing or something like that (though even that can usually be made to disappear).

It sounds like your employment history is really stable anyway (a lot more than mine was), so I don't think it's going to matter much how you spend this next year work wise.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

flip side

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:10:51 PM »
thanks so much for the advice. the one thing i keep thinking is like you said, team awesome- if i stay in a job i'm used to, i'll have more time/energy to work on law school stuff.  case in point:  today i worked on lor packets for reviewers at lunch.  so, with the help of y'all's advice, i think i'll stay where i am unless it gets totally unbearable. 

ninja, i hope the adcomms look as favorably at w.e. as you do!!

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »
yeah I agree with your reasoning flip side. Going to a new work environment, may be more fulfilling, but it might not be. You'll also have the learning curve of a new department, plus you'll want to please your supervisors, etc. May as well stay where you are now for the next year or so, and use that time to work on app's and brows LSD  ;D

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:55:30 AM »
My thinking with full time work experience is that is shows admissions committees that you can handle a full time work load, you have had adult responsibilities at some time in your life, you're probably more mature and professional, and you know how much most jobs suck compared to almost anything the law can throw at you. Additionally, it's a soft factor that someone who went the HS to UG to law school route probably won't have.

I firmly believe that having a little full time work experience really helped my applications look better and helped me in the admissions process.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.