Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to cite two sources from one sentence with ALWD manual?  (Read 1734 times)

lsduser

• View Profile
I am using the ALWD manual for citing, and in one sentence that references two legal cases, I am wondering what goes in between, a semi colon or a comma of some sort?

People with bluebook experience, please feel free to chime in as well for insight.

Also, I am wondering if this practice is generally bad form, but I don't really see a better way to do it when closely comparing the facts of two or more cases in one sentence.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: How to cite two sources from one sentence with ALWD manual?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:49:09 PM »
First, what is this for?  If you're doing some sort of over the summer write on, you shouldn't be asking for help.

Second, (and I shouldn't even be telling you this if this is for law review write-on), it's called a signal.  Look it up.

lsduser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:58:03 PM »
First, what is this for?  If you're doing some sort of over the summer write on, you shouldn't be asking for help.

Second, (and I shouldn't even be telling you this if this is for law review write-on), it's called a signal.  Look it up.

I'm doing this for a resume writing sample, so you can sleep well at night knowing you didn't violate your conscience if you were to provide me the correct answer.

Secondly, I appreciate the pointer in the right direction, but the overall demeanor and presumption of the response can sure leave a sour taste in the reader's mouth.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:14:44 PM »

I'm doing this for a resume writing sample, so you can sleep well at night knowing you didn't violate your conscience if you were to provide me the correct answer.

Secondly, I appreciate the pointer in the right direction, but the overall demeanor and presumption of the response can sure leave a sour taste in the reader's mouth.

It's not about violating conscience.  It's about trying to uphold the integrity of the process.  There have been a slew of threads on BBing help at the end of the spring semester, and it's almost always students doing a write-on for law review/journal.  So excuse my presumption, but without information to the contrary, I'm going to assume your question is for the same reason as most of the other spring/summer BBing question.

As for demeanor, for the reasons stated above, I'm not about to explain what the rule is on the likelihood that you were doing a write-on.  I offered you a hint of what to look for.  You should say thank you.