Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New situation: UF vs Kent  (Read 770 times)

dwkfym

• View Profile
    • Email
New situation: UF vs Kent
« on: July 19, 2008, 01:53:19 PM »
I got in off the wait list at UF the other day. In retrospect, it looked like I could have gotten in off regular admissions but my application was submitted after the priority deadline.. I am lucky to somehow have gotten in.

Here are some facts about me.
I don't really have a clear goal on my career. I would like to eventually do something corporate, international... IP is also something I have in mind because I did a lot of work with engineers in my UG through a major student project. My degree is in finance, however.

I'd like to work in a big city.. but in the end I am very flexible geography wise (must be because I'm not originally from America).

Chicago-Kent is giving me a scholarship for 10k.
US News rankings are as follows: UF 46th IIT/CHI-KENT 66th

One thing I should keep in mind is that I am billingual. I speak Korean. This may be significant--although I have no specific plans to do so-- in my career because S. Korea's recent interaction with the FTA indicates that S. Korea will allow foreign attorneys to work in Korea, though they won't be doing any actual legal representation unless they passed the korean professional exams... this is important because almost nobody in S. Korea knows about Chicago-Kent, but UF is well-known here as well as having a lot of Korean Alumni. But once again, I don't have any specific plans to work in Korea.

I'm leaning towards UF.. though living in Chicago sounds nice.. Just wanted to make get other's opinions. Thanks!

I'd like to add that I don't qualify for In-state tuition anywhere.
Acceptances:
Chicago-Kent (Scholarship money)
Lewis and Clark
Pepperdine
Santa Clara
U. San Diego
U. of Miami

Wait List:
Cardozo
William and Mary
Loyola Marymount

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New situation: UF vs Kent
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 02:04:16 PM »
Flo-Rida, of course.

Better weather, sports, people. What's not to love?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 01:30:11 PM »
As a Floridian who went to ugrad in Chicago, I'd say go to Florida.  Kent's a good school, but there's certainly competition in Chicago for the best jobs.  UF is much more respected in FL than Kent is in IL.

Now, Gainesville is certainly not the most cosmopolitan city around, but I'd say enjoy your laid-back time there...then get a job in Miami or something.

One thing though...have you visited either school?  I understand your geographic flexibility, but Florida and Chicago are very different places.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

dwkfym

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:43:15 PM »
I've been to UF, but haven't been to Chicago. I grew up in big cities, so maybe I have a good idea on what life in Chicago would be like. Or maybe not.

Are there any sort of national mobility with the JD from UF? From what I hear, if I go to Kent I am pretty much stuck in Chicago
Acceptances:
Chicago-Kent (Scholarship money)
Lewis and Clark
Pepperdine
Santa Clara
U. San Diego
U. of Miami

Wait List:
Cardozo
William and Mary
Loyola Marymount

MorningYellofHorror

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 05:18:04 AM »
It probably has a little more mobility, but keep in mind that neither degree is going to be as mobile as you'd like right out of school. Your best options (or at least your widest variety of options) are likely to be local, meaning this is an important consideration: The University of Florida is the best law school in the state of Florida.  Chicago-Kent is the third best law school in the city of Chicago and the fourth best in the state of Illinois.  While there is certainly placement from the top fourteen, there are no top fourteens in the Florida region.  There are two top tens in Chicago.  Emory, Texas, Vanderbilt and so forth will compete heavily in Florida, too, but Harvard and Columbia will compete heavily in Chicago. 

That said, I'd definitely visit both places.  Lifestyle should have a lot of weight in a decision like this.

h2xblive

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 10:47:04 PM »
Depending on how significant those UF Korean alumni connection are, go to Kent.

I imagine there would be more Koreans in Chicago than Gainesville.  Also, should you decide to just work in a major US legal market, Chicago is pretty hard to pass up for...Gainesville.