Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vandy or Texas  (Read 1762 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Vandy or Texas
« on: July 19, 2008, 10:02:30 AM »
I'm pretty torn over this decision. Any thoughts? I've visited both schools.

I got a really good feel from Vandy, but I know Austin a little better and I have friends at UT. On the other hand, Vandy = more personal attention; whereas Texas = large state school. In looking at NALP, they get about the same number of firms recruiting there.

I'm not necessarily interested in practicing in TX (the big problem is that I don't know WHERE I want to practice; probably SE/NE). I was really impressed with Vandy's admin and career services, but I have a mtg with UT's career svcs on Monday.

Anyway, obviously at the end of the day you can't go wrong with either school, but I still want to make sure I pick the right environment for me. I've always gone to large public schools, so Vandy is very appealing as a welcome change. However, UT was my top choice when I applied to law schools. I don't have any family in TX, but I lived there for 2 years.
Vanderbilt 2010

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vandy or Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:09:10 AM »
Any significant financial aid difference between the two?  It sounds like you actually want to attend Vandy more, but you're a bit confused because UT was your first choice when you applied to law schools.  Branch out and do something different - go to Vandy.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »
I am still in a quandry... Texas is offering me in-state tuition. I LOVE Vandy and get a better vibe from them, but is it idiotic to spend an additional $60K on warm fuzzies?
Vanderbilt 2010

bucky

• badgerbadgerbadger
    • AOL Instant Messenger - you+have+to+ask.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 12:21:59 PM »
I am still in a quandry... Texas is offering me in-state tuition. I LOVE Vandy and get a better vibe from them, but is it idiotic to spend an additional $60K on warm fuzzies?

personally, i've decided that choosing a school based on money was a bad decision.  go where you think you will be happiest.  again, you obviously can't make a wrong deicison.

We have recently learned that bucky rocks out pretty hard.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:02:51 PM »
Have you been to both schools? When I visited UT I immediately decided I didn't want to go there. I just didn't like it and it was a huge surprise because I simply loved living in Texas. On the other hand, when I visited Vandy and Nashville, I fell in love.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:18:24 PM »
i'd go to vandy.  nashville is awesome (though i've heard austin is pretty cool as well) plus you're close to a lot more stuff in tennessee... east coast rocks.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:38:43 PM »
Vandy will probably do better on the east coast than UT.

But Austin is a great place to go to school and in-state tuition is great.

Vandy might have better placement overall due to its small size

But UT might place you just fine if you had a high class rank / GPA at your old school

Tough decision.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »
I made a decision today, and I think it's the right one for me. I will be attending... (drum roll, please)...

(the suspense is killing you, isn't it?)
VANDERBILT!

Thanks to all for the advice and PMs! Good luck to all the rest of the transfers this cycle!
Vanderbilt 2010

bucky

• badgerbadgerbadger
    • AOL Instant Messenger - you+have+to+ask.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:02:45 PM »
congrats on making your decision...based on your posts, i think you made the right choice.

We have recently learned that bucky rocks out pretty hard.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 12:46:35 PM »
Woohoo! Congrats on your choice!
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011