Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: October LSAT  (Read 1039 times)

Utricky

• View Profile
October LSAT
« on: July 19, 2008, 03:22:24 AM »
I feel like Oct is the cutoff point: go to law school in fall of '09 or fall of '10 (getting a better score some other time)

I can't get myself to sign up yet.  I'll admit that I'm terrified. 

All my life I've been awesome at standardized tests.  Always in the 98 or 99 percentile... but this test scares me (mostly because not much science or math is involved).

I suppose reading this forum isn't an accurate representation of the "common LSAT taker" hoping to score somewhere in the 150s...

I wish I never told a soul that I'm ever taking the test (or planning on it anyway). 

I'd just like to hear about anybody else scared to even sign up.  To get *that* email, with your score, its just.. what IF it is like 10 or 15 points lower than you expected?  My GPA is horrible so I understand the gravity of the LSAT score (its basically make or break).

I will say though with the new standards in place (high score vs. average score) for two LSAT tests, a good deal of pressure is removed.

...sigh... I don't know what I'm getting at here, maybe a open call for some empathy

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: October LSAT
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 04:23:10 AM »
I feel your pain. I have taken some Economics finals as a senior where I was terrified. These were classes where you only had a final..so it was a semesters worth of material..all coming down to 4 in-class essays within 3 hours. I mean I freaked about it, and it was UNDERGRAD!!!

The LSAT is a much bigger deal. You know what helped me conquer one of those specific Economics finals? I DOMINATED the material. I wrote out possible essay questions..and I mean I wrote them by hand so many times that I drilled them into my head. Notebooks full, no joke. I studied so much that I thought to myself "if anyone has studied more than me, I'd be really surprised." I was still extrememly nervous, and one of these finals was the only time I broke out in a cold sweat & felt my mind go blank. I had to get it together quick, and I did.

I feel this kind of preperation directly correlates to success on the LSAT. We have many practice tests available, we *know* the types of logical reasoning questions, we *know* the kind of logic games they ask, we *know* what kind of reading comp. passages to expect.  

You'll find lots of great advice on this forum to help you study. Do every practice test you can. Don't do them all timed. Get to know the test. You can find many threads with smart posters sharing their advice with people in your situation. Take advantage.

Nothing in your post directly mentions law. Are you sure you want to practice law? Some people would phrase that as "are you sure you want to go to law school". Forget that..if you want to practice law this is a necessary step, and a step that gets you closer to your goal. Look at it as an exciting opportunity to begin your career - and if you work hard and follow through - you will only be rewarded with opportunities for inceased success in the future.

Best of luck to you!
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 05:47:27 AM »
october test be hardest ever.

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 04:22:23 PM »
If you have consistently scored in the 98th or 99th percentile on other tests then I think you will be fine if you work hard.  Have confidence in you ability to learn the material and test well.  There are a lot of high scorers on this site, definitely not the "common" test taker, but you were not the "common" test taker for your other tests in which you scored so high so read the LSAT threads and study hard!

sunglee

• Dash your curry like you not in a hurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:32:08 PM »
As Nike says...Just do it!! It's better to get the nerves all out in the open NOW than in late Sept. I signed up for it yesterday and I got really depressed today about it. But it might also be because I'm a broke-ass college graduate that is depressing

Honestly, as much as this site is helpful, it also builds the anxiety when you hear people say it is all about your numbers and that's it. I think I'm going to try to stay away from here as much as possible until after I take the test.

I don't need to keep hearing that numbers is a do or die thing.
no-body expects the Spanish inquisition

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:24:35 PM »
yeah, I think you need to take this site and TLS with a dose of salt. I really enjoy the people here and the community and there is a lot of solid advice for law school admissions and practice questions. I also think, as many others have said before me, that explaining to people how to solve a LR, LG, or RC questions helps you understand the questions better. That said, as I just said in another thread, people tend to be bombastic about these things. They say, it's just numbers, you have a low GPA, you can overcome that with a high LSAT, etc. etc. That is probably true 90% of the time. But from my own understanding and whatever I gain gleam from LSN, a lot of other things can come into play. You have your PS, LOR, addendum's, LOCI to explain yourself further and I have seen people who are below the median, get into their schools because of their supporting documents. Of course, this isn't the norm. Rankings do matter, but don't think your life is over if you don't do well.

What if you get 10 points below your average? Well, that's life. You suck it up and move on. That happened to me and yeah I spent a week moping around about it (in addition, I had just lost a family member who I was extremely close to). But that happens in life, not just the LSAT, and the people who succeed are the people who can pull themselves together and move on.  Like you said, most schools accept the higher score, and as long as you compelling addendum you should be fine.

Don't freak out about something that is 2 1/2 months away. Don't let that irrational fear enter your mind. Put it to the side and work, work, work. This is what makes results. Early on I imagine you realized you had an affinity for math and science and testing, and that made you feel confident about standardized testing. You have a natural affinity for standardized testing so I would say, to start with you're already ahead of most people taking the test. Calm down, sign up, and get to work.

Countryboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 12:00:23 AM »
I can sympathize, as most of us can. Most people who take the LSAT have enormously high expectations of themselves in everything they do. But as a couple of people said, it's not the end of the world. It's a lot better to think of it as just one step in life, not the defining aspect of it. Who knows what's going to happen in 10 years? Maybe not getting into your first choice will make your life better in the end. It helps to think about a lot of major life milestones this way. It takes some of the pressure off. Of course, you could also treat it like football practice and spend all day dreading how hard it's going to be, and then when it's not as hard you though, it's not so bad.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 05:24:49 AM »
And the part that will really eat you up later is that in a year, your LSAT score probably won't matter at all anymore.

The nerves get worse from here.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.