Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A diff. reason to transfer,  (Read 2704 times)

sternerstuff

• View Profile
A diff. reason to transfer,
« on: July 18, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »

I wanted your opinion on  something....

If.....

1) class rank is the most important factor in getting a BigLaw job.
2) Transferring to most schools means resetting your GPA to 0.0

Then...

Then conceivably a reason TO transfer would be to reset your GPA, compete for A's at your new school being able to pick your 2L classes and getting the benefit of easier 2L curves.
IE- transferring with grades that are just OK, 25-40%, in order to try and finish your 2L year @  your new school near top 15%.
-- this assumes your 25-40% rank wont get you the type of job you want.

Genuis?  or insane?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: A diff. reason to transfer,
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »
I don't know what its like at other schools, but at my school (T2) your GPA does not reset, you have a transfer GPA and your new GPA works off of that. Your rnaked where ever your transfer GPA would put you at with a * next to your ranking that says "transfer GPA" then after that you go up or down based on the GPA you transfered in at and your new grades.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »
I don't understand why people always talk about you lose your GPA.  NO you don't.  Your GPA isn't calculated in with your new school but for most big law jobs they recruit beginning of Fall 2L year.  They still see your GPA at your old school just as you were at your new school.  It only matters when you graduate and who really cares what their GPA is when they graduate.  If you haven't found a job by then employers are still going to want to see your first year GPA. 
Boalt Hall '10

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »
I don't know what its like at other schools, but at my school (T2) your GPA does not reset, you have a transfer GPA and your new GPA works off of that. Your rnaked where ever your transfer GPA would put you at with a * next to your ranking that says "transfer GPA" then after that you go up or down based on the GPA you transfered in at and your new grades.

I have actually never heard of doing it this way. I believe most schools your gpa resets to 0.0. However, Mike4488 is right, it doesn't matter because you will need your old gpa in Fall OCI anyway. The only difference is your resume says gpa at x school, currently attending y school.

sternerstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »
SASS,

True. 
But if you cant get the job you want with your gpa at current school, then your best play at a clerkship or big firm job 3L (more rare) is to boost your GPA as high as possible.  Easier to start at 0.0 on 2L classes than Drag a 3.2 up to a 3.45. 

Just a different angle on tranferring I thought I'd throw out there, and is one reason I am personally considering transferring.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 10:26:44 PM »
CU resets your GPA, so do most schools because it would be unfair to compare you to other students who operate on a different curve.  Trust me, the GPA reset was a plus for me.  I did well but by no means knocked it out of the park, and I'm not holding my breath for OCI.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:16:37 PM »
Big Law recruiting during 3L year is very hit or miss. Fall of 2L year is when big law hires, and if you miss the boat, you might not get big law period.

The first year grades will never truly go away, b/c like the other said, MOST employers, even non-biglaw are going to want to see your entire law school record if you are looking for a job during 3L or post-grad.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:40:21 PM »
Where I'm leaving and where I'm going can only increase my chances at biglaw.  If it doesn't happen, fine.  I think I'd ratehr clerk for a few years anyway.

tortus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 12:27:02 AM »
chances are if you are transferring you did really well your first year anyway, right? So if you bombed out bad enough that you want to reset your grades, how are you going to transfer anwhere anyway?

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 01:42:18 AM »
chances are if you are transferring you did really well your first year anyway, right? So if you bombed out bad enough that you want to reset your grades, how are you going to transfer anwhere anyway?

Lateral transfer. The objective is gpa reset.