Law School Discussion

Can you teach yourself Secured Transactions during bar review?

Or is it recommended that you should take the class during school?

I had no problem with Article 2 in Contracts.

Thanks for your input!

My state bar tests on Article 2, Article 3 (negotiable instrum.), and Article 9.

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Can you teach yourself Secured Transactions during bar review?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:47:37 PM »
I think I'm better off for learning it during bar review.  Taking a class woudl likely go much more indepth into everything, and in reality, the bar will never require that depth of knowledge.  First, you don't have the time to write it.  Second, you don't have the space to write it. Third, you're not trying to Cali the bar exam, and when (a guess) 50% of the people who are sitting for the bar has never taken the class, you just don't need that level of knowledge.

I'd say you can learn ANY the bar tests you just fine during bar review (except maybe evidence - I'd recommend everyone take evidence).  Of course, if you want to take Secured Transactions just b/c you're interested in it, then go right on ahead!

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:51:28 PM »
i didn't take secured trans / commercial paper in law school and found the material to be pretty accessible through bar/bri's overall presentation of it. the tough area is T&E - i'm having a semi-tough time assimilating it (first time exposure)

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 03:56:55 PM »
Secured Transactions was one of the hardest classes I had in lawschool. However, I've found that bar review has made it fairly simple and straightforward. You don't have to worry about the "why" and all you have to do is simply focus on the rules. In reality, its a pretty straightforward area of the law. (Security Interest Attachment? Perfection? Priority?) That's basically all you need to know in reality. The problem comes about when you have to fill up a semster's worth of material, and really have to pour through the code.  :-[

I'd actually recommend NOT taking it in law school unless you REALLY enjoy the area of contracts or you think you might want to do commercial law or be a clerk to a Bankruptcy Judge.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:21:15 PM »
Thanks for the tips..

The main reason why I don't want to take it is cause its my 3L year and Secured is only offered on Tues/Thurs and I'd like to have those days off.. the rest of my classes are M/W/F.. It would also mean my finals end a week earlier in December.  The material also seems pretty boring.

Pretty pathetic reason.  But if I can avoid taking it I will, if I wont be kicking myself next summer when studying for the bar!

Also, I'm not interested in bankruptcy law, but will probably go into general corporate transactional work.  So I dont think it would totally necessary to have under my belt?

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 06:53:39 AM »
Take my advice with a grain of salt because I am a rising 3L and I'm still blissfully ignoring the bar but I took secured transactions last semester because I actually want to do bankruptcy law. The first thing the professor said was not to take it if you were just wanting to learn it for the bar exam because the class was far more complex than the bar questions would be.

latinlord

• Attorney at Law in Philadelphia Law Firm
    • View Profile
    • Fundraiser for Nephew who lost both parents
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 07:43:54 AM »
yea hopefully i can learn it on my own... I have no intentions of taking it... I would only take it if my contracts professor was teaching it and he isn't next year...

jsb221

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »
This was a great thread. Assuming I get law review, I'm dropping Secured Transactions or finding something else to take in its place

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 10:35:31 AM »

Also, I'm not interested in bankruptcy law, but will probably go into general corporate transactional work.  So I dont think it would totally necessary to have under my belt?

Well...not so fast. If you go into transactional work, then you might want to take secured transactions. Corporations and Businesses use it all the time to finance things....so if you really want to do corporate transactional work, then you may wish to take it.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 10:52:16 AM »
Iíve heard the same advice from my friends who have taken the bar, donít need to take the class. They are also about half split between taking mostly bar courses and taking no bar courses. I certainly hope this is true because other than the required classes, I will have taken nothing thatís tasted on bar by the time I finish up.