Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stetson vs. Golden Gate  (Read 1866 times)

jezad

• View Profile
Stetson vs. Golden Gate
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:58:21 PM »
So I just finished my 1L year at Golden Gate and have been accepted as a transfer student at Stetson.  I was curious to find out if anyone had any information, positive or negative, regarding both schools?  I am primarily concerned with job prospects and the costs.  ANY OPINIONS???

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Stetson vs. Golden Gate
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »
I don't know much about Golden Gate, but I grew up in FL and I have friends who went to Stetson Law.

PROS
1) Pretty campus
2) Great location near the beaches and Tampa
3) Students are pretty nice and social. I've found most are from FL and attended UG in Florida. Some of my UCF friends went there.
4) Very well regarded in Orlando, Lakeland and Tampa (Central Florida area)... in fact, my peers and relatives were surprised I wasn't considering Stetson when I applied to law school. If you're in Central Florida, public consensus is that it is one of the top law schools.
5) I have friends working in both private practice and government. I know and know of Stetson Law grads working in Orlando, Tampa, St Pete and Washington, DC. It's a pvt school, so you may get more personal attention than at a larger public school (however, GG is a pvt school, isn't it?) Regardless, Stetson grads get jobs. They're pretty happy.

CONS
1) A prof there wrote a system of legal citation (like Bluebook). It is well-regarded, and my writing prof at UF used it. However, I hated it b/c every law review in the country uses blue book. I don't know whether that is a con or not, but I'm not a fan of the ALWD manual. I used it all year for class and then had to learn the Bluebook in 2 days for the Law Review write on at my school, whereas other students at my school bluebooked all year.

2)If you want to work in SF or CA in general, don't transfer to Stetson. It's a Florida school. I think it would be silly to move to the east coast if your goal is to work on the West Coast. I'm sure it can be done, but you're going to a great deal of trouble and expense going from one regional school to another, regardless of "tier."

3)Central Florida employers may not be as familiar with your school. In my experience talking to career services directors at different schools I am considering transferring to, for OCI, employers will still regard you based on your old school, as well as old class rank and grades. I have learned that if a firm has not had experience with your school before, they are more hesitant to take a chance on you when they can interview students from schools that they have had experience with.

4) Stetson's OCI is likely to pull local employers and it's already a slow market. I can't speak for the other FL schools, but UF's list is pretty spare this year, according to my 3L friends and recent grads. This leads me to think the other Florida schools' OCI opps will also be less this year. I would imagine that Stetson's list will be mostly local Tampa firms, and a few other Florida markets. Maybe a small handful of Stetson grads from out of FL recruiting for their firms.

Good luck! Stetson law is a pretty spot, the students are all pretty nice and you'll probably have a good time there. I don't know any students from Stetson who disliked their time there. Most really enjoyed it (as much as one can enjoy law school!) Just think about why you're interested in Stetson-- will it open the kinds of doors you're looking for?
Vanderbilt 2010

jezad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:11:36 PM »
Thanks a lot Julie.

I used to live in Tampa and decided to move to SF kinda on a whim- I hated my job in Tampa.  But after living in San Fran for a year now the expense and the grossness of the city has begun to get to me.  I applied to Stetson because its top notch for trial advocacy and the costs are much more reasonable.

Golden Gate is low ranked school and I'm afraid if I stay there I will end up being forced to do public interest law and be digging myself out of loans for the rest of my life.  As long as Stetson is regarded as a god school in Florida and I can be competitive in the job market that is all I can ask for.  In San Fran the top jobs go to kids from Standford, Boalt, and Hastings.  So graduating from Golden Gate already puts me at the bottom.

If you have or can think of any other useful information to pass along that would be great!
Oh- and what does OCI stand for?

Thanks

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 03:42:31 PM »

Oh- and what does OCI stand for?

Thanks
On campus interview

And why do you think that you'll get stuck doing public interest because its a low ranked school?  Do you mean you think you'll get stuck in a low paying job?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

jezad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »
GGU's main focus is on public interest and that seems to be where most graduate find themselves upon graduation.  But yes, certainly I feel that I will find myself in a low paying job and in case you didn't know San Fran is outrageously expensive.  Any knowledge on either school or location?

leliz14

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 07:23:58 PM »
Congrats.  I am (was) a mid-year admit at Golden Gate & was just admitted to Santa Clara & American.  I don't know anything about Stetson, but I am transferring out of Golden Gate to (at least try) & expand my horizons & marketability in the job market.  I want to be on the East Coast, & I don't think graduating from GGU will help me at all out there.  I think (& I am no expert at all, mind you), you should try to go where you want to practice.  I am still waiting on about 5 other schools, so I have no idea where I'm going to end up, but I'm going to w/draw soon.  Good luck to you.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »
I don't think Stetson has OCI. You should check first. 

jezad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »
Congrats to you Leliz!

You know all too well what I am talking about then in regards to Golden Gate.  I just feel that with a degree from here I am handcuffing myself in terms of what jobs I will be offered, and more importantly to me, will be trying to recover from student debt for many years to come.  Several of my class mates have decided to transfer to Santa Clara as well.  I hear it is a great school.

Best of luck with your transfer decision!

leliz14

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »
Congrats to you Leliz!

You know all too well what I am talking about then in regards to Golden Gate.  I just feel that with a degree from here I am handcuffing myself in terms of what jobs I will be offered, and more importantly to me, will be trying to recover from student debt for many years to come.  Several of my class mates have decided to transfer to Santa Clara as well.  I hear it is a great school.

Best of luck with your transfer decision!

Thank you jezad!  Congrats to you as well.  As of right now, I am deciding b/w UC Davis (got in this weekend) & American.  First choice is Fordham.  I am declining Santa Clara. 

I completely agree with you about Golden Gate.  If you want to practice on the East Coast, I really don't think staying will do you any favors at all!  However, if you are plan on practicing in the Bay Area, it may be a little better luck, especially if you're in the top of your class.  Like I said before, I don't know anything about Stetson, but it's a top 100, which is stronger than a tier 4!  Again, best of luck to you!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 03:42:48 PM »
Stetson is the 4th best law school in Florida. Golden Gate is in the perpetual running for the worst ABA law school in California.

Take Stetson in a heartbeat.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.