Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If I fail the bar....  (Read 2599 times)

pickle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: If I fail the bar....
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 08:18:20 PM »
I've been about 8-10, but I'm mostly sitting on my couch typing up my final "review" outlines for each subject (seems to be one of the only ways I can learn things, apparently).  With law and order on the TV, I'm probably averaging less than 8.

Next week, when I'm going nothing but essays punctuated some mixed MBE sets, I'll aim for 8, but I really don't know how close I'll actually get to that.

This is precisely how I learn/remember stuff.  First I did outlines of barbri outlines, then I made flashcards of my outlines.  Next week, I'll probably rewrite the flashcards that I can't immediately recall from memory. 

Also, I'm averaging 8hrs.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 08:29:36 PM »
Well, during the substantive parts of the course I was averaging 8 to 10 hour days.  Essentially, rewriting their notes from lecture and then boiling some of it down.  With only a 1.5 weeks left until the bar, I have been studying from 8am to 10pm each day.  I read my outlines until around 5 or 6, eat a short dinner and then work problems.  So far, I've been doing it for 4 days.  It sucks big time.  But, hopefully it will all payoff in the end.  But, I am clerking for a federal district judge for the next two years.  I don't have the pass to keep my job.  But, I really don't want to take this thing again.  We'll see.  Good luck all!

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 09:53:26 PM »
I am averaging probably 9 hours per day.  Today I am going on 14.  Tomorrow I am taking the day off, and then the next 7 days will likely be at least 14 hours per day. 

Tomorrow will be nice though, it'll be the first time I've seen the sun all summer.  I'll be kicking back in an inflatable tube, floating down the river with a can of beer.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 09:55:32 PM »
I don't think I'll hit 14 hrs a day even next week.  :-\

I'm starting to worry I'm not "taking this seriously."  I just don't think I can sit and memorize for that long.  I'll really be lucky to hit 9 hours/day next week.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »
Don't something like 90% of people pass this sucker in most states?  Why are you people so worried?

Even in the easiest of states the pass rate is not 90%.  It's hard to relax when your law license is on the line.  You'll understand one day. 

Luziana

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 11:51:28 PM »
Don't something like 90% of people pass this sucker in most states?  Why are you people so worried?

Even in the easiest of states the pass rate is not 90%.  It's hard to relax when your law license is on the line.  You'll understand one day. 

Actually, the NCBEX report someone posted yesterday showed that Minnesota's first-time pass rate in July 2007 was 94%.  Seeing that stat made me wish I was taking Minnesota's exam.... Sigh.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 01:45:30 AM »

Illinois was 90% for first time takers last year. High five!
Air Force JAG Corps

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 02:00:49 AM »
Just out of curiosity, how many hours per day is everyone studying during the last week or so before the bar? Barbri recommends 12 but this just seem like a sure way to burn out. I try to average about 8 per day...

Starting tomorrow, and ending on Wednesday (going out of town), I'm planning on studying 6 hours per day, at the MOST. Besides, since I scored in the 92nd percentile on the simulated MBE, and that's from having studied only a few hours per day these past 2 months, I'm really not that worried, especially since I find the essays to be easier (you can actually BS on the essays, but you certainly can't do that on the MBE, because there is only ONE right answer).  I think the reason I'm studying so little and not taking this so seriously is because I really don't want to practice law: I'm just doing this to "close the chapter on law school," as it were, and to give me another option if I should later change my mind about practicing. I honestly think that those who fail do so because they freak out in the exam room instead of going with the flow.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »

In VA about 70% pass.  78% of first time takers pass.  I keep telling myself that someone from a decent law school with a decent class rank who busts their ass studying probably has a 90 or 95% chance.  But it is still nerve racking just because of the sheer volume of material, you never feel like you know enough.  It would take me 5 days just to read through me outlines. 

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 06:15:50 PM »

In VA about 70% pass.  78% of first time takers pass.  I keep telling myself that someone from a decent law school with a decent class rank who busts their ass studying probably has a 90 or 95% chance.  But it is still nerve racking just because of the sheer volume of material, you never feel like you know enough.  It would take me 5 days just to read through me outlines. 

It is very nerve racking.  I am used to being able to remember just about everything I needed for exams.  But the sheer volume of information is overwhelming.  I keep telling myself that I went to a good school and did well.  I studied hard.  But i have been spending the past week trying to finish cramming this stuff into my head, and it just isn't happening.  Each time I look at my outlines it is as if I am seeing some of it for the first time.  Very unnerving.  But, this too shall pass.