Law School Discussion

If I fail the bar....

If I fail the bar....
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:52:23 AM »
I am probably just not going to take it again.  I have a good job with a good salary that doesn't require me to pass the bar.  Every day for the past two months I have woken up hating my life.  This is the worst thing I have ever had to do, the most miserable period of my life. 

Tomorrow I am taking my first day off in about 50 days. 

Re: If I fail the bar....
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:56:33 AM »
yeah i hear you. it's awful. i've definitely hit the wall - though i'm somehow still working. i guess it's the fear. oh well. it'll be over soon enough.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:04:02 AM »
I hit that wall about 10 days ago.  I took two days mostly off (only 2 hrs of studying each day) in order to recuperate.  Take that day off and then dive back into studying.

We can do it -- there's not much longer left!

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:30:38 AM »
Yesterday I yelled as some door to door solicitors who interrupted my dinner.  About an hour later I smashed a cheap chair to pieces to relieve some frustration.  Hopefully thats as much "hitting the wall" as I'll do.

I finished the substance two weeks ago, hopefully today I'll finish reviewing, and then next week is all practice tests and review of the really important stuff.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:42:20 PM »
I hit that wall about 10 days ago.  I took two days mostly off (only 2 hrs of studying each day) in order to recuperate.  Take that day off and then dive back into studying.

We can do it -- there's not much longer left!

Yikes, for I study only 2-4 hours per day every day, and I don't consider that a day off!  Plus, next week, I'm going out of town for 4 days, mere days before the bar.  Oh well, I've come to realize that it is impossible for me to study more than this, so I have to work within my limitations. Over 4 and a half years of not having a vacation will do that to you...

just dot

• I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 01:40:38 PM »
Wow.  You guys are real downers.   :D

You're actually making 1L sound like a breeze compared to studying for the bar.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:51:01 PM »

1L has its enjoyable moments, and really, the stress is quite contained and predictable.

Bar review has absolutely NO high points - the closest thing to a high point would be some jokes told by the Bar/Bri lecturers.  Perhaps the only good thing is that studying for the bar is 2-3 months of hell, where 1L is more like 9.  The 2-3 months is all the worse when you sit and think about the very real possibility that you'll have to do it all over again if you fail.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:37:12 PM »

1L has its enjoyable moments, and really, the stress is quite contained and predictable.

Bar review has absolutely NO high points - the closest thing to a high point would be some jokes told by the Bar/Bri lecturers.  Perhaps the only good thing is that studying for the bar is 2-3 months of hell, where 1L is more like 9.  The 2-3 months is all the worse when you sit and think about the very real possibility that you'll have to do it all over again if you fail.

Credited. The Bar is zero sum, which truly makes the stress palpable. Unless you are at a Cooley-esque T4, even if you don't do well during your 1L, it's not like the gig is up. You won't grade on to a journal, you may not sit for OCI, etc, but you are still in law school. There are many shades of gray as a 1L.

Bar exam is black or white and the stakes are high.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »
Imagine all the monotony and frustration of studying for three semesters worth of law school crammed into two months.  That is the bar exam, except in law school you usually have your outlines to fall back on.  The bar is closed book.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 04:17:30 PM »
I've been about 8-10, but I'm mostly sitting on my couch typing up my final "review" outlines for each subject (seems to be one of the only ways I can learn things, apparently).  With law and order on the TV, I'm probably averaging less than 8.

Next week, when I'm going nothing but essays punctuated some mixed MBE sets, I'll aim for 8, but I really don't know how close I'll actually get to that.