Law School Discussion

PREPARATION CLASSES: WORTH THE BUCKS$$$?

PREPARATION CLASSES: WORTH THE BUCKS$$$?
« on: July 18, 2008, 09:16:31 AM »
TESTMASTERS VS. KAPLAN VS. PRINCETON REVIEW

Any thoughts on which one is the best? I've decided to go ahead an take one to keep me studying and focused. However, I'm not sure which one is regarded as "the best". Reviews online don't provide much insight so I decided to ask the experts--you all!! ;)

Re: PREPARATION CLASSES: WORTH THE BUCKS$$$?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:30:45 PM »
I can only tell you about my experience with KAPLAN.  I don't know too much about the other areas, but have heard from reading this blog that Testmasters has been highly recommended in the past.

This was the first time I was taking a prep course.  I was worried I would not have time to prepare for the LSAT.  It turns out I wasted my time and money on the KAPLAN course.  The course I took met from February-early June, with taking the actual LSAT in June. 

While I scored a little higher than my diagnostic, it is still lower than the score I had envisioned myself earning. 

The "benefit" of the KAPLAN class was it gave me access to any and all exams offered up until June 2007 and a score explanation of each with a breakdown explanation using KAPLAN language.  And books, tons of books to practice on actual LSAT questions.  It is also good for people who like to learn the "basics" and like to learn slowly. 

The drawback is significant.  While I put lots of time and money into the program, in the end, it did not help me.  The highest I scored, even when following the methods (and still NOT getting the LGs), was 154.  I scored lower than that on the actual test.  The classroom itself was too slow and not much emphasis on logic game organization was provided.  This really ruined my score.

So I have changed my methods.  I don't plan to take the October test, as I am expecting a baby.  I am postponing applying to law school for a year so my husband and I can raise our child together.  But I do plan to start preparing for the February exam, and plan to use the practice tests from Kaplan, and using the Logic Games/Logic Reasoning Bibles, as I have been reading from many posts about these two as valuable score improvers.

That being said, I will say while Kaplan was good for the above mentioned items, in the end, it was not worth my time, money, or effort.  I plan to self study for the next LSAT, as I feel I can pace myself better and go faster on my own than with Kaplan. 

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:19:22 PM »
I hear Testmasters is the best, but I have not tried them myself.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:09:35 AM »
yes, it always fault of "course."  never student.