Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Beginning Prep for October LSAT  (Read 1735 times)

Blair180

• View Profile
Beginning Prep for October LSAT
« on: July 18, 2008, 10:29:14 AM »
I am planning on taking the LSAT in October and my goal is 165-170. I have taken only a few practice tests ranging from 152-160. I have bought the LR Bible and just recently signed up for Kaplan Advanced Course. Has anyone taken the Kaplan Advanced course and thought it helped? I've heard bad things about Kaplan on this site and was wondering if there was any positive feedback out there??? My weakness used to be LR, but now it's reading comprehension. The LR Bible really helped me, but they don't make one for reading comprehension. Does anyone have any advice for RC?

Do any of you have advice of how I should go about studying with this much time left? Also, is my target unreasonable considering I got a 152 on a practice test? I seem to be leveling off around 160 with RC dragging me down. Also, any comments about Kaplan sure would help!!
GPA: 3.88 LSAT: 160

FatUncle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning Prep for October LSAT
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:24:42 PM »
I am planning on taking the LSAT in October and my goal is 165-170.
Do any of you have advice of how I should go about studying with this much time left? Also, is my target unreasonable considering I got a 152 on a practice test? I seem to be leveling off around 160 with RC dragging me down. Also, any comments about Kaplan sure would help!!

I am also studying for the October test. Get your hands on as much material as you can, find out your specific weaknesses. Are you missing the main point of the RC passages? Are you not reading carefully? Do you understand causal relationships? etc.

Advice: Do as many timed/untimed REAL LSATs as you can before October.

The PS bibles help immensely, but supplementing it with a Kaplan course. Not a great idea.  Why would you use the Powerscore materials and sign up for Kaplan (despite the countless warnings)???

Anyway, the RCBible from Powerscore wont help much since it comes out in September.

LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »
october test be hardest ever.

Blair180

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 02:48:49 PM »
why will the october test be hardest ever?
GPA: 3.88 LSAT: 160

TimMitchell

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »
The LR Bible really helped me, but they don't make one for reading comprehension.

o rly

http://shopping.powerscore.com/product_detail.cfm?pid=800&seo=LSAT-Reading-Comprehension-Bible/Pre-Order-for-Discounted-Price

No Wai! I just ordered it

why will the october test be hardest ever?

Don't pay attention to her... my girlfriend Julie can be a little repetitive sometimes.

FatUncle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:58:08 PM »
On a scale of one to ten, how effed is it that I sort of want to read the new RC Bible even though I will never take the LSAT again?

TimMitchell

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »
On a scale of one to ten, how effed is it that I sort of want to read the new RC Bible even though I will never take the LSAT again?

2.. after doing all that prep and wondering why there is no RC books seeing one finally coming out has to be a little interesting.

KellyD09

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »
I am planning on taking the LSAT in October and my goal is 165-170. I have taken only a few practice tests ranging from 152-160. I have bought the LR Bible and just recently signed up for Kaplan Advanced Course. Has anyone taken the Kaplan Advanced course and thought it helped? I've heard bad things about Kaplan on this site and was wondering if there was any positive feedback out there??? My weakness used to be LR, but now it's reading comprehension. The LR Bible really helped me, but they don't make one for reading comprehension. Does anyone have any advice for RC?

i'm with you Blair. I am in the same situation. My diagnostic was at a 152 and my goal is 165-167. I am enrolled in a Testmasters course.

flip side

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »
i took kaplan advanced & would not recommend it.  like i've put on other threads, my score went down --i took the oct 07 lsat at 163 and enrolled in kaplan advanced spring 08.  by the end of the course i was testing at 159, which i definitely blame on their "kaplan method."  esp. since the whole reason i took the course was bc i was prepping at 170+ and was confused as to why i didn't score so well.  of course, lsd has helped me seen the light much more than kaplan ever did.

anywho, i recommend anything but kaplan.  the best (only good?) thing about an organized course is that you have the discipline built in for you.  if you aren't very disciplined, a class is prob. a good route, but NOT kaplan.  esp, like mori said earlier, when you have been prepping w/powerscore.

if you have spec. questions about kaplan advanced, let me know.  don't get tricked into thinking it is better than regular kaplan & take the class just bc it is the only "advanced" one out there.  the one positive thing i will say about kaplan is that i think their online suite, esp. the "smart reports" part, gives you a good breakdown of your progress & areas for improvement.  you could also be regimented on your own though & keep track of yr. work that way.