Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Supplies?  (Read 2188 times)

likeitmatters

• View Profile
Supplies?
« on: July 18, 2008, 12:15:31 AM »
Any suggestions on supplies and/or study aids to pick up for an incoming 1L?  Already got the laptop, heavy duty backpack, and about a billion highlighters.  :)

Tx!

laurenlaw

• View Profile
Re: Supplies?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:29:55 PM »
Any suggestions on supplies and/or study aids to pick up for an incoming 1L?  Already got the laptop, heavy duty backpack, and about a billion highlighters.  :)

Tx!

I didn't really use highlighters, but it was nice to have:  an extra charger to keep at school (if you commute), a USB drive (an absolute must.  save religiously every other week), a planner to keep track of assignments/locker number/phone numbers, earplugs/headphones for the library (you'll also need earplugs for exams if that's how you like taking them)

Study aids:  I'd wait until you've been to a couple classes at least.  You won't know beforehand how your teacher teaches, what they concentrate on, or how you learn best.  For example, with Civ Pro and Contracts, I picked up study aids with a lot of charts.  For property, I wanted a lot of examples.  Etc, etc.  Your library and bookstore will have these to browse through before making a decision.

And alcohol aplenty, because you're there to have fun too...

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »
money, and lots of it.  oh yeah and a black suit.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:42:42 PM »
lol

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 10:15:57 PM »
i'm dead serious.  ok and maybe a giant box of granola bars too.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 10:23:36 PM »
Lots and lots of earplugs. Seriously. And flag tabby things.

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 10:53:51 AM »
Another billion highlighters  ;D, study aids now before the demand goes up along with the prices, lots of paper if you plan on printing notes and outlines, toner/ink cartridges, a USB drive or some program that automatically backs up your stuff especially if you forget to back things up manually like me

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »

Tx!

I didn't really use highlighters, but it was nice to have:  an extra charger to keep at school (if you commute), a USB drive (an absolute must.  save religiously every other week), a planner to keep track of assignments/locker number/phone numbers, earplugs/headphones for the library (you'll also need earplugs for exams if that's how you like taking them)

Study aids:  I'd wait until you've been to a couple classes at least.  You won't know beforehand how your teacher teaches, what they concentrate on, or how you learn best.  For example, with Civ Pro and Contracts, I picked up study aids with a lot of charts.  For property, I wanted a lot of examples.  Etc, etc.  Your library and bookstore will have these to browse through before making a decision.

And alcohol aplenty, because you're there to have fun too...

Agreed on most of this stuff, EXCEPT backing up every other week.  That is not nearly enough.  Bare minimum, you should be backing up every week.  I'd say that to be safe, you should back up every other day, but every day is best.

And if you refuse to do it that often, make an exception for when you're working hardcore on your legal writing assignments (even losing 2 or 3 drafts' worth of work can be devastating), and when you start outlining.

wheretogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:30:41 AM »
if you have a mac with time machine, that is an extremely easy way to back up your whole computer with very little effort. i knew that if i had to go through and move files manually, i wouldn't do it often enough, but with the time machine program, you just plug in your external hard drive and it automatically backs everything up.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »
i'm dead serious.  ok and maybe a giant box of granola bars too.

A black suit is a bad idea unless you're planning on attending lots of funerals.