Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3rd Tier vs. 4th Tier Scholarship  (Read 4013 times)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Tier vs. 4th Tier Scholarship
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 07:27:06 AM »
Questions:

1. Where are you from?

2.  Where do you want to work?

3. What do you want to do with your law degree?

4. What is your pre-law experience?

to answer the questions,

1. I am a foreigner, from Korea
2. I don't know where I want to practice law but definitely international law
3. I want to promote energy trading between countries
4. Probably none, I used to work at a real estate development firm. We promote eco-friendly homes.

What exactly do you mean by "energy trading?"

It sound like you're interested in a specific area of internatioal business law, which is better than the typical undergrad, who thinks he's going to be conducting diplomacy.

You also are bilingual, which is an important and marketable skill, especially since we do extensive trade with Korea.

I would go to Pace, and focus on international trade classes, since there's probably more trade work in NYC.  Focus on that area, and leverage your korean language and cultural skills. 

Frankly, I would think you could get business work without the J.D, given your language skills, but the J.D. might not hurt.  At least you'll have something to make you stand out.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »
What exactly do you mean by "energy trading?"

Do you need a definition of a commodity market?  :o

You also are bilingual, which is an important and marketable skill, especially since we do extensive trade with Korea.

Yes, North Korea is one of our biggest trade partners.  ::)

I would go to Pace, and focus on international trade classes, since there's probably more trade work in NYC.  Focus on that area, and leverage your korean language and cultural skills.

Yeah, 150k debt with dismal job prospects. Sounds like a winning combination. 

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »
Yes, North Korea is one of our biggest trade partners. 

Umm...

#1. North Korea and South Korea speak the same language
#2. She never said she was from North Korea
#3. South Korea is one of our biggest trading partners

To the OP:
Hate to say it, but it is highly unlikely you will get a job doing what you want coming out of Pace unless you are VERY lucky. We are talking a 10% chance at best. That said, most people change their minds once they start law school.

Just make sure you go in with all the info.

As for Florida Coastal, it's beyond the pale. It's not that it's lowly ranked. There are T4 schools that are fairly well established in their communities and get their grads good entry level jobs- Florida Coastal is not one of them.

Your question: what is the difference between T4 and T3? Basically a silly magazine. However, there are worlds of variation within those two categories U.S. News has. Once you get to T2 territory and below, U.S. news becomes worse and worse at accurately reflecting school quality (not that it is that great at the top)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 10:56:05 PM »

#1. North Korea and South Korea speak the same language
#2. She never said she was from North Korea
#3. South Korea is one of our biggest trading partners

To the OP:
Hate to say it, but it is highly unlikely you will get a job doing what you want coming out of Pace unless you are VERY lucky. We are talking a 10% chance at best. That said, most people change their minds once they start law school.

Just make sure you go in with all the info.

As for Florida Coastal, it's beyond the pale. It's not that it's lowly ranked. There are T4 schools that are fairly well established in their communities and get their grads good entry level jobs- Florida Coastal is not one of them.

Your question: what is the difference between T4 and T3? Basically a silly magazine. However, there are worlds of variation within those two categories U.S. News has. Once you get to T2 territory and below, U.S. news becomes worse and worse at accurately reflecting school quality (not that it is that great at the top)

Year To Date
                                    Total in         Total in
                                    Billions         Billions
 Country Name                       of U.S. $        of U.S. $

Canada                                 54.40           256.54
 China                                  34.28           156.59
 Mexico                                 31.12           151.27
 Japan                                  17.42            89.61
 Federal Republic of Germany            13.18            64.57
 United Kingdom                          9.97            48.06
 Korea, South                            7.42            35.33
 France                                  6.50            30.73
 Saudi Arabia                            6.50            26.69
 Venezuela                               5.80            24.21

Weird, I wouldn't really consider South Korea one of our major trading partners in comparison to Canada, China, Mexico, etc.

Furthermore, the OP did not state "South Korea." Don't assume the OP meant either one.  ::) ::)

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 12:32:09 PM »
Weird, I wouldn't really consider South Korea one of our major trading partners in comparison to Canada, China, Mexico, etc.

Furthermore, the OP did not state "South Korea." Don't assume the OP meant either one.  ::) ::)

Are you stupid? Of the 195 countries in the entire world, South Korea is our 7th largest trading partner. South Korea isn't a "major trading partner". What the hell are kids smoking nowadays?? Holy *&^%

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 12:33:07 PM »

Are you stupid? Of the 195 countries in the entire world, South Korea is our 7th largest trading partner. South Korea isn't a "major trading partner"?? What the hell are kids smoking nowadays?? Holy poo

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 01:37:54 PM »

Are you stupid? Of the 195 countries in the entire world, South Korea is our 7th largest trading partner. South Korea isn't a "major trading partner". What the hell are kids smoking nowadays?? Holy poo

Are you stupid? You post the same thing twice. Don't you know about redundancy? 195 countries in the world, 100 of which are not developed or industrialized, another 70 which are marginally developed or industrialized, let's put this in perspective. Canada, major trading partner, South Korea, minor trading partner. That is all, please carry on.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 05:30:35 PM »
Canada, major trading partner, South Korea, minor trading partner. That is all, please carry on.

Samsung, Hyundai, Daewoo, Kia, eMachines, LG, .... I'd say Korea's pretty high on the list.  Sure, Canada is way bigger than Korea, but I wouldn't call Korea minor by any stretch.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 05:57:39 PM »
Canada, major trading partner, South Korea, minor trading partner. That is all, please carry on.

Samsung, Hyundai, Daewoo, Kia, eMachines, LG, .... I'd say Korea's pretty high on the list.  Sure, Canada is way bigger than Korea, but I wouldn't call Korea minor by any stretch.

Yes, yes, yes. Daewoo is so impressive.  ::) ::)

There is a major drop off in our trading our top six trading partners. Calling a country that makes up .5% of our trade a "major" partners is not correct. That is like calling Daewoo a major player in the car business. Are they a player, sure? Are they a major player like the Big Three, Toyota, etc? No.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »
Yes, yes, yes. Daewoo is so impressive.  ::) ::)

There is a major drop off in our trading our top six trading partners. Calling a country that makes up .5% of our trade a "major" partners is not correct. That is like calling Daewoo a major player in the car business. Are they a player, sure? Are they a major player like the Big Three, Toyota, etc? No.

Sure, Daewoo isn't a huge player, but LG, Hyundai and Samsung are major players in their respective fields.  Seventh is still seventh.  Canada's trade outstrips South Korea by nearly seven times.  That's a large number.  But that doesn't render South Korea "minor".  Look at all the ink spilled on the U.S. Beef problem in South Korea.  I don't think we'd care as much if they were a minor partner.  Do you think Britain and Germany are also minor partners?  The distance between Britain and Germany in dollar amounts is larger than the distance between South Korea and Britain.

I don't particularly care.  I think it's major, you think it's minor, and neither of us will change the others mind.  I'm more curious where your threshold line for major/minor is.