Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3rd Tier vs. 4th Tier Scholarship  (Read 4135 times)

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Tier vs. 4th Tier Scholarship
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 11:47:02 PM »
You really need to look at both of these schools if you have decided to go.  Jacksonville is not fun, and Pace is not NYC.  If I were you I'd move to a state you think you might like, work for a year, take the LSAT again, and reapply.  There are a bunch of schools in the US that are little better than a scam.  Wiki "bait and switch."

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 12:38:35 AM »
It's been my understanding that Florida Coastal doesnt place well *anywhere* outside of jacksonville, florida.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
Well of those two, definitely Pace.  Florida Coastal keeps emailing me offering me scholarships - I NEVER APPLIED THERE.  What does that tell you?

Pace is a fairly new school and not that highly ranked.  But it does have an extensive environmental program.  I got into higher-ranked schools so I am not going there, but I would have been ok with it.  It's a nice campus and the students seem to be fairly happy.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 06:23:24 AM »
It's been my understanding that Florida Coastal doesnt place well *anywhere* outside of jacksonville, florida.

I don't think they even place well in Jacksonville.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 09:50:27 AM »
Well of those two, definitely Pace.  Florida Coastal keeps emailing me offering me scholarships - I NEVER APPLIED THERE.  What does that tell you?

Pace is a fairly new school and not that highly ranked.  But it does have an extensive environmental program.  I got into higher-ranked schools so I am not going there, but I would have been ok with it.  It's a nice campus and the students seem to be fairly happy.

Cardozo also emailed me unsolicited  offers of admission and scholarships.  Some schools do this to entice students with good numbers.

lilly22

• Washington & Lee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 02:43:07 PM »
You could wait & reapply or consider your other options. But if youre hellbent on going, then I would go with PACE for several reasons. First of all, its in a higher tier...and in the law school game, higher is higher. It would just be silly to go to a lower ranked law school when you have another higher choice. Also, Florida Coastal seems pretty desperate. Before I even took the LSAT, they were flooding my inbox and have done so throughout the entire admissions cycle. In fact, I think I just got an email from them last week telling me I still qualify for a scholarship. I dunno, they seem pretty desperate to me and I do not know many people who take the law school seriously (I know I am just one person, but I havent heard good things about it from many). Also, PACE is a more respectable legal institution. More people probably know it, and you could work in NYC (which will have many more opportunities for any international work than FL).

Overall, I'd say go for PACE. If you do really well your 1L year at a Tier 3, you could consider jumping up to a higher tiered law school after a year by applying to transfer. Good luck. 

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 10:34:38 PM »
Please don't go to Florida Coastal.  It's a for-profit school.  It's generally seen as a joke.  The job prospects are dismal, and as was mentioned, the chances of losing your scholarship are high.  Most people at the school want nothing more than to transfer somewhere else.  Go almost anywhere BUT Florida Coastal.   

I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 12:40:20 AM »
Dear Clayton,

Did you get the email I sent you on 7/15/08? I wrote to you to tell you that your LSAT score of 158 and 3.11 GPA and other academic accomplishments qualify you for admission to our August '08 entering class and since we still have some scholarship funds available, I can offer you a merit scholarship in the amount of $7000 per year.

Please reply to this email or give me a call at (904) 680-xxxx so we can talk more about this opportunity. By the way, I am willing to wave your application fee.

I will be working tomorrow (Saturday) so feel free to contact me.

Thank you,
Steve

Please note that I never applied and am currently set to attend a t2 in a few weeks.

Steve Jones

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 01:06:59 AM »
Dear Clayton,

Did you get the email I sent you on 7/15/08? I wrote to you to tell you that your LSAT score of 158 and 3.11 GPA and other academic accomplishments qualify you for admission to our August '08 entering class and since we still have some scholarship funds available, I can offer you a merit scholarship in the amount of $7000 per year.

Please reply to this email or give me a call at (904) 680-xxxx so we can talk more about this opportunity. By the way, I am willing to wave your application fee.

Thank you,
Steve

Please note that I never applied and am currently set to attend a t2 in a few weeks.

Ooooh...T2!  Well done, "Matlock"!!!
We have many people from your state that attend our school!

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 07:23:29 AM »
Dear Clayton,

Thank you,
Steve

Ooooh...T2!  Well done, "Matlock"!!!

I wonder if this is the real Steve?!!!