Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine v George Mason  (Read 978 times)

jdhu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pepperdine v George Mason
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:51:12 PM »
Any thoughts on this?  I am posting for a friend (I am a rising 2L) who is trying to decide.  No money at either.

At this point, he hopes to practice in CA.  I told him that GMU has been rising in the rankings and making a bit of a name for itself (although, so has Pepperdine). 

Curious if you guys have any further insight.  Thanks.

jdhu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pepperdine v George Mason
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:35:46 PM »
Darn it, wrong section...been a while since I posted on LSD.  Insight would be appreciated though.

lawnecon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:57:16 PM »
If he wants to definitely work in California, Pepperdine - Mason is too new (particularly to the tier 1) to have much of an established alumni base in California. If your friend can be sold on staying in Virginia/DC, Mason would be the better choice. It's a respected school in the area, but moreover, if he can establish VA residency, the school is quite affordable (particularly compared to Pepperdine). If he's willing to put the effort into networking to get a job in CA, he could also benefit from the lower tuition at GMU.
Villanova Law School Class of '09

"I don't believe in nothing, no more - I'm going to law school!" Jimbo Jones (The Simpsons)

esqprep

• View Profile
    • ESQPrep.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 01:13:31 AM »
Pepperdine is a rising star.  Just a few years ago they were rated in the lower tiers.  Since the addition of Ken Star, the school has jumped significantly in the rankings.  It's close to being a top-tiered school.  It effectively went from the lower 50 law schools to the upper 50 and skipped the middle.

I currently go to Pepperdine (although for my MBA; I received my law deg. elsewhere).  I highly recommend it.

Just a heads up, if you or your friend are looking for excellent course outlines (I know you are a rising 2L) you can find and share law school course outlines at http://www.esqprep.com.

good luck to your friend!
http://www.esqprep.com
Find and share law school course outlines, class notes, and case briefs!  All for free!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 05:22:06 AM »
Pepperdine for California desires, naturally.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

BagsUnderEyes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
Have you seen the Pepperdine campus?!?! It looks like a postcard. I would definitely go there. Even if you are studying law, life in Malibu can't be at all bad.