Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working Till School Starts. How Much Will I Regret This?  (Read 1337 times)

Visual Dictionary

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Working Till School Starts. How Much Will I Regret This?
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:25:36 PM »
It's becoming increasingly tough to look through FB pictures and see all of my friends in Europe and Asia, but I don't have money and I have to make financial ends meet in order to avoid loanpwnage.

So I have no vacation or break plans.  How deeply will I regret this itinerary, if at all?  I'm more curious than querulous.
Yep.

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
Re: Working Till School Starts. How Much Will I Regret This?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:27:20 PM »
It's becoming increasingly tough to look through FB pictures and see all of my friends in Europe and Asia, but I don't have money and I have to make financial ends meet in order to avoid loanpwnage.

So I have no vacation or break plans.  How deeply will I regret this itinerary, if at all?  I'm more curious than querulous.

Relax, dude. You'll have plenty of money and time to see the world after you retire in 45 years.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »

Nobody ever ended up on their death bed and said 'Man, I'm really glad I worked that summer before law school.'

Just sayin'...
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 07:41:36 PM »
Do I have to aspire to be the first person who says that?   :-\

You guys start super late, don't you? I'd at least think about taking some time off and doing something fun. Buy a direct ticket to Singapore and make love in the first class bathroom once every 5 hours or something. Or go to a water park and knock little kids over in the wave pool.
The Victors:

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:53:49 PM »
A friend I talked to said that law school was more fun then undergrad...

and this guy had a lot of fun in undergrad.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:55:14 PM »
Is it possible to simply have a really great and really social 1L?  I'm hoping that the first few weeks will be on the low-down in terms of assigned work.

I found the first few weeks were the worst. You have little to no idea what's important, which professors expect what and are at your worst in terms of reading efficiency.  That being said, first semester is as relaxed as you make it, generally speaking, until after Thanksgiving.
The Victors:

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:10:54 PM »
I was sort of hoping the advice about law school/natural-born lawyers thread would take-off...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:14:37 PM »
Is it possible to simply have a really great and really social 1L?  I'm hoping that the first few weeks will be on the low-down in terms of assigned work.

I found the first few weeks were the worst. You have little to no idea what's important, which professors expect what and are at your worst in terms of reading efficiency.  That being said, first semester is as relaxed as you make it, generally speaking, until after Thanksgiving.

Do you think this confusion applies to someone like me, who's spent the better part of the year reading about Law School and what's expected?

Even if your preparation has helped, I'm guessing it still holds that the first few weeks will be harder and less efficient than at some point around the middle or end of the semester when you've read a few hundred more cases and been in class for a while.  And adapting to what your professors expect you to know can't be prepared for in advance, probably. Human beings are unpredictable like that.
The Victors: