Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wash. U./St. Louis or Wisconsin/Madison? Help!  (Read 4521 times)

Davinw

• View Profile
    • Email
Wash. U./St. Louis or Wisconsin/Madison? Help!
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:16:27 PM »
I was going to Wisconsin, but just got accepted off the waitlist at WUSTL. What do I do???

Davinw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wash. U./St. Louis or Wisconsin/Madison? Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 05:15:59 PM »
I'll be more specific: I really liked the school, program, and atmosphere at Wisconsin, but I'm concerned that turning down a better-ranked school like WUSTL would be a bad mistake. In other words, the only reason I'd go to WUSTL is because of the rank (I'd be happy there too, though). Thoughts anyone?

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »
If you would be happy at both, you should go to WUSTL.

That's really exciting that you got off the waitlist. Congrats!
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:38:18 AM »
I'll be more specific: I really liked the school, program, and atmosphere at Wisconsin, but I'm concerned that turning down a better-ranked school like WUSTL would be a bad mistake. In other words, the only reason I'd go to WUSTL is because of the rank (I'd be happy there too, though). Thoughts anyone?

But you left out the most important part. What do you want to do and where do you want to do it. That's infinitely more important than "atmosphere".

sasfore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 11:41:11 AM »
I was accepted to Wisconsin and WUSTL too and visited, talked to Mike Hall, etc. If you are interested in working in Wisconsin or Minnesota, GO TO WISCONSIN. Nothing beats no bar exam. Also, Wisconsin law firms think that U of Wisconsin is T-14. Crazy as it is, no state has such a strong preference for their in-state school as Wisconsin does.

Top 1/2 will net u a job paying at least 100K. Top 1/3 for biglaw. Surprisingly WUSTL's job prospects aren't much greater because of their recent rise in the USnews rankings (mainly through buying high scoring students and teachers).

You must also consider that the quality of students is MUCH higher at wustl. Some see it as a chance to learn better. Other see it as .. the average LSAT score at WUSTL is 6 points higher than Wisconsin, I "theoretically" have a better chance to finish higher at Wisconsin. Plus, Madison is a pretty sweet town.

Also, reputation rankings wise, Wisconsin and WUSTL are the same. I wouldn't put too much stock in those rankings. If Wisconsin is cheaper, and you wouldn't mind working in Wisconsin or Minnesota, I definitely would choose Wisconsin if I were you.

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 11:51:50 AM »
UW-Mad, will also open up doors in the Chicago area...although you would be competing with UC and NW.
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

sasfore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:53:45 AM »
UW-Mad, will also open up doors in the Chicago area...although you would be competing with UC and NW.

Lol, there is enough jobs to go around in Chicago for UC, NW, Illinois, Wisconsin and a slew of schools. I think placement in Chicago is pretty much equal for WUSTL and Wisconsin.

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 12:14:07 PM »
Yes, I know. My point wasn't that there is a limited amount of jobs in Chicago. 

WUSTL is more of a national school than UW-Mad, and so you may find more job options outside of the midwest by going to WUSTL (Also WUSTL has more OCI than UW-Mad).

Its a tough choice, but it all depends on where you want to live and work. If you want to stay in the midwest, go with UWisconsin.
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

whartonn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »
I would choose UW-Mad if you plan to stay in Wisconsin. Otherwise, WUSTL would be a better choice. NLJ 250 placement is about 15% better at WUSTL and they place about 2-3 times as many Federal clerks.

I think UW-Mad and WUSTL have about the same laymen's prestige, although WUSTL is known as a more selective and prestigious school by professionals.

While I was not crazy about the law school facilities at UW-Mad, there is no doubt that Madison is a great college town.

Another slight concern might be the different trajectories of the schools- WUSTL has generally been on the rise while UW-Mad has been falling.

I would choose WUSTL, but you have to weigh your own interests.

sasfore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:01:57 PM »
I would choose UW-Mad if you plan to stay in Wisconsin. Otherwise, WUSTL would be a better choice. NLJ 250 placement is about 15% better at WUSTL and they place about 2-3 times as many Federal clerks.

I think UW-Mad and WUSTL have about the same laymen's prestige, although WUSTL is known as a more selective and prestigious school by professionals.

While I was not crazy about the law school facilities at UW-Mad, there is no doubt that Madison is a great college town.

Another slight concern might be the different trajectories of the schools- WUSTL has generally been on the rise while UW-Mad has been falling.

I would choose WUSTL, but you have to weigh your own interests.

as in regards to the rankings of the 2 schools .. wisconsin does not give a shi* about those rankings because the school is well known ... other schools such as Washington University and washington and lee are less well known and have to "advertise" through those rankings