Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wash. U./St. Louis or Wisconsin/Madison? Help!  (Read 4528 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wash. U./St. Louis or Wisconsin/Madison? Help!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 03:54:03 PM »
Wisconsin. Aside from the great atmosphere of the place, you don't have to take the bar in Wisconsin, you get diploma privileged in.

And don't worry about rankings. The Wisconsin name will take you just as far as WUSTL.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Davinw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »
Thanks for all your help everybody! WUSTL gave me two days to decide, and they were an emotionally wrenching 48 hours. I ultimately decided on UW-Madison. I don't plan on working at a large law firm - more interested in government and policy. UW seems to really like that. Also, the rankings don't seem to matter as much of you're not intersted in large firms. Besides, when I compared job prospects outside and within the Midwest, WUSTL and UW were tied. Ditto with their median salaries, graduation rates, and "national" reputation. The rank seemed to offer little benefit, and I really like UW. So, UW it was. Thoughts?

OldPosterNewName

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 03:46:11 PM »
Wisconsin. Aside from the great atmosphere of the place, you don't have to take the bar in Wisconsin, you get diploma privileged in.

And don't worry about rankings. The Wisconsin name will take you just as far as WUSTL.

This is a bit self-serving, no?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »

This is a bit self-serving, no?

No, not self serving at all, just a valid piece of advice.

Exactly like the post above you said, WUSTL performs about as well as Wisconsin in almost every area despite being higher ranked. Rankings really don't matter, most people know a good school when they see one and a bad school when they see one. Rankings are only a crutch for those that are too lazy/fatalistic to make decisions for themselves or those that are trying to justify spending too much money.

As far as my particular situation goes, rankings actually serve me well and it would be in my self interest to get people to pay attention to them. There are about 50 schools ranked higher than FSU and about 150 ranked lower. Those are betting odds to me. However, I realize the senselessness of the whole rankings process and try to encourage others to do the same for their own good as well as the good of the legal education system as a whole. I didn't have any problem turning down Denver or Miami for Ole Miss before FSU came through, and I happily withdrew my applications from Colorado, Florida, and Indiana-Bloomington after FSU accepted me. If you become a rankings puppet, you'll likely make some decisions that you're not going to be happy with and it's probably going to cost you a lot more money.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.