Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reapplying for Fall 2009  (Read 4125 times)

katiet46

• View Profile
Reapplying for Fall 2009
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:22:05 PM »
Assuming you're on the waitlist now, and don't end up getting in, what have you heard about reapplying for the following year?  Are any of you thinking about doing this?

In Montauk's book, it seems like most successful reapplicants take the LSAT over and get a much higher score.  But, what if you don't take the LSAT again?  (Or, in my case, have already taken the LSAT twice)

Do any of you know current law students or lawyers that have attended law school after reapplying?  If so, what did they do in the year before reapplying to make their application more enticing?

Thanks!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reapplying for Fall 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 04:04:12 PM »

Do any of you know current law students or lawyers that have attended law school after reapplying?  If so, what did they do in the year before reapplying to make their application more enticing?

I don't know anyone that has had to reapply, but I can tell you that the best way to make your applications better is to get a full time job if you have little or no work experience.

I'm confident that having full time work experience for a few years really helped my application out.

If that's not a concern though, maybe go get a quick MA degree?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 12:06:40 AM »
I decided not to reapply, the job market looks pretty vapid and I dont feel like taking a 3 year vacation and losing out on the 32k a year im making now :)

That said, I would retake the LSAT, and pay a grand or two to an advisor like Ivey

oceansmarine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:12:18 PM »
80% percent of the law students who re-apply will be accepted by a law school by their third summer providing that the name on their diploma does not get them upset.   In-short, apply to the law schools that will ensure your academics rather than the name.  And also keep this in mind, the number of law seats equate to the projected law employment opportunities upon graduation.   Although you will hope for the great paying job, you must consider that you may fall into the category where you must employee yourself, usually within your own neighborhood.   In having now worked with the DOJ and the US Attorney General's office some three years ago in submitting a proposal in response to the Grutter decision, you must consider your options.  Cost of education is everything upon graduation.  You must look at the whole picture and in being a former employee of the LSAC/LSAS (Law School Admissions Council/Services) organization, it is all about employment.   If you have the support of your family, do not threat about not getting in the first time. Reapply to the law schools that meet your expectations for academics, second or third tier law school and prepare for that employment interview after you successfully complete law school........   You will do fine !!!

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:11:27 PM »
80% percent of the law students who re-apply will be accepted by a law school by their third summer providing that the name on their diploma does not get them upset.   In-short, apply to the law schools that will ensure your academics rather than the name.  And also keep this in mind, the number of law seats equate to the projected law employment opportunities upon graduation.   Although you will hope for the great paying job, you must consider that you may fall into the category where you must employee yourself, usually within your own neighborhood.   In having now worked with the DOJ and the US Attorney General's office some three years ago in submitting a proposal in response to the Grutter decision, you must consider your options.  Cost of education is everything upon graduation.  You must look at the whole picture and in being a former employee of the LSAC/LSAS (Law School Admissions Council/Services) organization, it is all about employment.   If you have the support of your family, do not threat about not getting in the first time. Reapply to the law schools that meet your expectations for academics, second or third tier law school and prepare for that employment interview after you successfully complete law school........   You will do fine !!!

What are you even talking about??

To answer the OPs question...yes, I'm in the same shoes as you and I'm re-applying to some of the same schools.  From what I've read, you do need to supply them with new information to let you in, and the best is a higher LSAT score.  So that's what I'm doing.  But you've said you've already taken it twice.  Did you do as well as you think you could?  Did you apply late last year, and now you're applying earlier?
You definitely need to do something to add to your app if you're not going to retake the LSAT.  I think working full time is a better option than a degree, mainly because you're earning money rather than spending money, and it doesn't look like you're jumping from degree to degree to  degree.  Also, rework your essays, and try to figure out why you didn't get in in the first place.  If it's because of your numbers, and you can't change them, you might need to consider applying to different schools.  If it's not numbers, you need to find a way to give the law schools what they want.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.