Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Embittered Miami rising 2L taking questions  (Read 1897 times)

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Embittered Miami rising 2L taking questions
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 03:21:56 AM »
Congrats Brenda!
In all fairness Miami does have a lot going for it.  The location is safe, the campus is beautiful, and most students are really nice people. 
I guess my biggest complaint not mentioned above is that the school enrolled  my class by 100 students, promised us that was a mistake, and did it again for the incoming 1L class.  It's hard to not feel like we're participants in some pyramid scheme. 

TH14

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »
Hey Aspen, congrats on making the transfer.  That's an awesome leap in the rankings!

What made you go to Miami in the first place?  Did you apply to CU originally and how did you do?  Where do you want to practice?

Just curious, like.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »
I chose Miami for a bunch of reasons.  It's the best school in its market.  They threw a ton of money at me.  I wanted to be near the beach (or so I thought). Two of mhy mentors in Aspen went to Miami law.  I did not apply to CU originally. 

MCSEblows

• Save that silver tongue bull for the jury.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 10:28:45 AM »
How is everyone doing in their job search? I doubt I would get too upset about professors and their strange personal lives but difficulty getting a job would certainly piss me off.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »
The job search is tough.  We only have 20 employers for phase one of 2L OCI.  Our career office is great, but there just aren't a lot of biglaw opportunities open to miami grads.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 12:29:29 PM »
How is everyone doing in their job search? I doubt I would get too upset about professors and their strange personal lives but difficulty getting a job would certainly piss me off.

Iíve actually not relied on OCI at all up to this point. I started networking with working lawyers and judges and joined the bar associations as soon as I got Denver. Iíve gotten all my clerkships/internships and offers through people I have met that way, including biglaw clerkships. I think it really helps to be in the city you want to work in as I live only Ĺ mile from the courthouse and where most of the large firms are. That way I can be at any networking function at anytime. Its been so successful that I have not had to try OIC or even mail out a single resume.  I think key at any school is making things happen for yourself and only rely on the school as a backup.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.