Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Exile LSD: GD MrZilla Foxtrot Locked Me Out  (Read 1819927 times)

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Exile LSD: The Law School Years
« Reply #57640 on: February 25, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »
someday every state will be on that list.

They will.  And the opposition will be remembered in the history books just like the segregationists.

Those who fail to learn from history...

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57641 on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:27 AM »

Tell that to Mr. Rubenstein!!! My best friends are getting married in June in Boston (they just moved there), and I wanted to follow suit. I'm in at BU, but I just can't pass up some of the other offers that I've gotten.

For a second, I thought you were talking about Professor Rubenstein (openly gay, hottie, awesome Civ Pro prof) and I was ultra confused :)

Definitely don't go to BU ahead of some of your other options. I'm fairly surprised about CLS and NYU, but you do have great options. I'm very excited for you though! You're going into ASW season and that is so much fun!

Just looked up Prof. Rubenstein. Definitely a looker!  ;)

Yeah, I'm not going to go to BU, even though my friends in Boston and my mother want me to.

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57642 on: February 26, 2010, 09:40:09 PM »
I have a question that I would like to put out to you guys since you're generally level-headed, smart, and tend to provide good advice.  I apologize in advance if this is the dumbest question you have ever heard.  Here goes:

I am going to get married after my first year of law school.  I know that's sort of insane but my goal is to plan out 80-90% of the details before I go off to school, so as not to spend most of my time wedding planning while I'm actually in school.  My question is, if I wanted to get married in June and maybe take a week off of work (provided I actually find a job as a 1L), how terrible would that be?  Anyone have any advice?

Honestly...I don't think it's the greatest idea. Why would you need a whole week off? If you're talking honeymoon, you need to suck it up and postpone until after the job ends (which, if it's a 10 week job, would give you plenty of time in August). I don't know...maybe I'm particularly conscious of these things ITE, but I think that would make you stand out in a bad way. Why take that chance?

Not honeymoon, literally just like 2 days to prepare before and 2 days after to chill.  I feel like most people I know worked really low-end jobs in their 1L summer so I wasn't sure how bad it would really be.  But you're right that I'd have plenty of time in August.  Sometimes I just need a person to just confirm for me that I'm crazy.  Thanks for that :)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57643 on: February 26, 2010, 10:55:06 PM »
someday every state will be on that list.

They will.  And the opposition will be remembered in the history books just like the segregationists.

Those who fail to learn from history...

perhaps it may not be "the opposition" but the alternative which should be the focus?

aye think it may have something to do with the word "marriage"...perhaps if people advocated for "civil unions" there would be more change already...

people are reticent to change their perception of meaning when it comes to certain words...specifically the word "marriage"...a word traditionally and culturally bound to at least one definition...but, 'let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments.'

people think in terms of "race' which is another traditionally defined term...an archaic term but needless to say it is socially accepted...there really are no races and no "list" of races...but we use the term all the time...

similarly the word "gay" used to mean "merry" or "bright" but the term now carries with it a another meaning..

aye'm not quite sure why more advocates of government benefits for contracted couples don't push the 'civil union" wording...

personally aye believe people marry because they love each other...and make a promise of commitment to each other...the government filed contract is trivial when it comes to this highly personal issue...the rest is simple dollars and cents...somewhat important...but ultimately trivial.

and advocating "civil unions" does make some sense in an effort to expedite change.

or...keep struggling...

u don't have to respond...aye know u are too scared to argue or agree with an obfuscating iambic indigo. ;)
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

.Chuck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question-Type Finder utility
« Reply #57644 on: February 27, 2010, 03:31:52 AM »
Congratulations to the people talking marriage. Since you asked for advice, I'll just recommend waiting until you're at least far enough through law school to really understand how alimony works and the value of a prenuptial agreement. :P

On the same-sex marriage topic: it pisses me off that hyper-religious assholes feel the need to dictate who can and can't enter into a contract with the government.

When I took CA community property law class it scared me a lot, hence

<-------  not married even though I want to be in a GOOD committed lifelong marriage.  

Not gay, but the anti gay marriage nazi religious crowds piss me off.  I've learned not to discuss this issue with my parents unless I want an evening of considering beating my head on the pavement.

It's especially ironic since the various religious denominations the opposition comes from (pretty much most of them) preach understanding, compassion and all that stuff but that's where the people that spend tons of their time fighting against it come from and use their religious beliefs as a justification for going to war against it trying to stick their noses into trying to dictate other peoples private relationships.  

Quote from: goaliechica

IOPJCRN (In other PJC-related news)
cheeseburger glazed donut bun
 "The burger has been met by criticism from burger puritans and from people who...WANT TO LIVE"

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #57645 on: February 27, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »
I have a question that I would like to put out to you guys since you're generally level-headed, smart, and tend to provide good advice.  I apologize in advance if this is the dumbest question you have ever heard.  Here goes:

I am going to get married after my first year of law school.  I know that's sort of insane but my goal is to plan out 80-90% of the details before I go off to school, so as not to spend most of my time wedding planning while I'm actually in school.  My question is, if I wanted to get married in June and maybe take a week off of work (provided I actually find a job as a 1L), how terrible would that be?  Anyone have any advice?

Honestly...I don't think it's the greatest idea. Why would you need a whole week off? If you're talking honeymoon, you need to suck it up and postpone until after the job ends (which, if it's a 10 week job, would give you plenty of time in August). I don't know...maybe I'm particularly conscious of these things ITE, but I think that would make you stand out in a bad way. Why take that chance?

Not honeymoon, literally just like 2 days to prepare before and 2 days after to chill.  I feel like most people I know worked really low-end jobs in their 1L summer so I wasn't sure how bad it would really be.  But you're right that I'd have plenty of time in August.  Sometimes I just need a person to just confirm for me that I'm crazy.  Thanks for that :)

One of my friends got married during winter break (in India) and took a week off of school for the honeymoon.  None of our profs seemed to have a problem with that.  I also wouldn't risk asking to take off work, but I'd also imagine you'd have time near the  beginning or end of summer.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57646 on: February 27, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
Not honeymoon, literally just like 2 days to prepare before and 2 days after to chill.  I feel like most people I know worked really low-end jobs in their 1L summer so I wasn't sure how bad it would really be.  But you're right that I'd have plenty of time in August.  Sometimes I just need a person to just confirm for me that I'm crazy.  Thanks for that :)

No prob :)

Yeah, I'm thinking of it from the perspective that the job market is ridiculously competitive right now so if employers had a choice, they'd choose someone who wouldn't be gone. This summer my job is 10 weeks so I start maybe 2 weeks after school gets out and then I'm done by beginning of August. If you're doing this 1L summer, that would give you a couple of weeks until OCI starts.

I also know someone who took a week or so off from school at the beginning of the school year to get married and no one seemed pissed about that. So it may be an option, depending on your situation.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

reez

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57647 on: March 01, 2010, 11:48:23 PM »
One of my friends got married during winter break (in India) and took a week off of school for the honeymoon.  None of our profs seemed to have a problem with that.  I also wouldn't risk asking to take off work, but I'd also imagine you'd have time near the  beginning or end of summer.

Credited.  I've known a good number of people who've taken weeks here and there.  It's maybe not in the Roadmap to 1L Success, but it generally works out okay.

With respect to taking a week from your summer job, remember that many positions don't start right after exams (if you get a firm, you'll probably have a whole month on either end).

Also, I'd suggest looking for an RA spot--I took a week in July, and extended it to two weeks basically without telling my Prof.  That's a common experience, especially since most of the work can be done on the road (personally, I hauled my research stuff halfway around the world but never got around to actually working on it).  Then again, I'm literally still spending 15 hours a week on the research I started last May, so I guess watch you don't slack too much.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #57648 on: March 03, 2010, 11:19:51 AM »
update on my life: I'm such a failure as a law student.  I never want to do work (but I eventually get it done).  Anyone else have that problem, or is everyone breezing through their readings and briefs?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57649 on: March 03, 2010, 07:38:10 PM »
update on my life: I'm such a failure as a law student.  I never want to do work (but I eventually get it done).  Anyone else have that problem, or is everyone breezing through their readings and briefs?

I turned in my brief exactly at the deadline time. I am behind in all classes on readings (some have just fallen by the wayside until the end of the semester -- and even then, I'll probably just read the briefs and not the actual cases). I have zero motivation to do actual work except for fear that I will fail out and die. I also really dislike my classes this semester wayyyyy more than last semester. Profs are OK, but the subject matter just seems way more boring.

And instead of working at the library right now, I'm writing this. Fail.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French