Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Utah, Lewis and Clark, Vermont, Pace, Hawaii, FSU what are my chances...  (Read 1237 times)

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Going to school for Environmental Law is tricky, because the schools that have solid programs like Vermont or L&C are very competitive within that track.

That being said (and it's a discussion for another time), keep in mind that Environmental Law is not known for being especially lucrative.  True, some people end up working for Exxon making $150K, but they are usually the Ivy League grads. 

With that in mind, while I whole-heartedly agree that you should cast a wide net and see what comes up, be aware that UDenver is extremely expensive, and your stats are unlikely to get you a sizable scholarship.  Therefore, I'd advise looking at other public schools that have generous in-state policies.  Rutgers-N has a well-known environmental law clinic, and they allow for in-state tuition the second year, no questions asked.  There are others...I would do some research. 
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!

That being said (and it's a discussion for another time), keep in mind that Environmental Law is not known for being especially lucrative.  True, some people end up working for Exxon making $150K, but they are usually the Ivy League grads. 

This is misconception, although before I started getting into environmental law so heavily I would have said the same thing. Environmental law is a large part of many firms businesses; there are a lot of environmental statutes that affect business CERLCA, RCRA, Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, Brownfields Act and many others that generate a steady stream of income. Environmental laws are getting stronger and more complex with each administration (even the present conservative one) meaning itís a specialized field of practice. Almost every business from the corner dry cleaners to multinational steel plants now are impacted by some environmental legislation, and much of that is state or local as well meaning its can';t be done just from large legal markets. Far more environmental lawyers work for firms than do PI, and for firms that have the practice area its extremely lucrative as environmental compliance is an ongoing issue and not as impacted by downturns in the economy as other business related fields.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.