Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IU-B vs UGA  (Read 319 times)

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
IU-B vs UGA
« on: July 16, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »
I've done my research and understand that these schools are pretty similar on most everything except location. IU-B places mainly in Indiana and the midwest. UGA places mainly in Atlanta and the south. UGA has football but IU-B has basketball.

Half tuition scholarship at IU-B and ability to get residency in Georgia makes them pretty much equal, with UGA beng $5k cheaper.

Can anyone tell me anything I may be missing?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: IU-B vs UGA
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 01:43:15 PM »
Sounds about right to me.

UGA also has a pretty good baseball team, even if they did manage to lose to Fresno St. in the CWS this year...

Also, it's probably worth something that UGA is in the SEC.

Really, I think it's just a question of if you'd rather live in the South or Midwest.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
Re: IU-B vs UGA
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 02:08:24 PM »
It's a close call. I agree with the Ninja - where do you want to live? Bloomington is in the north, has basketball, lots of arts and lots of hippies and activists. Athens is in the south, has massive football (could be national champs this coming season), and less arts, more sports/sports culture.

Both at one time or another have been anointed as a "party school" by Playboy or the Princeton Review. Both have bars where Playboy regularly visits.

Athens will still be steaming hot in August when school starts. Bloomington will be less so. However, Athens shuts down at the slightest hint of snow. Bloomington would require a blizzard before classes were canceled.

Both are near lakes with boating/fishing opportunities. Bloomington does have the advantage in foliage, though - it's in the middle of a band of deciduous forest that turns technicolor every fall.

Both are an hour or so from larger cities with more to do (Indianapolis and Atlanta). I've been to both towns. I went to school in Bloomington, and had family in Athens. Have you visited? And is there anything else you'd want out of school that would tilt you either way? For example, UGA also has an urban planning and urban landscaping department, IU does not. IU does, however, have a better business school and a school of environmental and public affairs.
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."