Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PowerScore Reading Comp Bible  (Read 1367 times)

WashLaw

• View Profile
PowerScore Reading Comp Bible
« on: July 16, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »
sorry if this has been posted before but I honestly haven't seen it:
http://www.powerscore.com/publications.htm
It comes out Sep. 5. Probably won't be much good for October test-takers, but I'm sure somebody will get good use out of it.
LSDers Rejoice! ;D

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: PowerScore Reading Comp Bible
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:37:56 PM »
hmm....I wonder how good this will be. I don't know if it's worth trying to get in last minute before the Oct. exam...

Tracy T

• I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down !
    • AOL Instant Messenger - theebmonique
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:45:38 PM »
I am taking the October test, so I ordered it just in case.

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »
I am not sure how helpful it will be. There aren't really any "tricks" to it or extensive strategies for RC. And I took the Powerscore class and like it was mentioned, they basically just cover the topics of passages - sciences, markets, historical etc.

Key is to not read too fast, or too slow. I get done reading and marking the passage in about 2 minutes.  Be an active reader, continue to ask yourself as you are reading "what point is the author trying to make".

Mark down where there are obvious changes in scope/opinion/tone of the author.
Mark dates & names and strange terminology. 
Be aware of the structure of the passage: How is it put together? P1: Intro/Thesis Statement P2/P3: Pros/Cons, Elaboration on examples etc. P4/P5: Authors opinion/Concluding remark

That plus reading lots and lots and lots. I read everyday - mostly heavy condensed scientific papers, I would recommend reading material that is laborious to read and understand.

This strategy I have been using, I usually get 0-1 wrong on the RC section.
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

Tracy T

• I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down !
    • AOL Instant Messenger - theebmonique
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 02:17:42 PM »
I am not sure how helpful it will be. There aren't really any "tricks" to it or extensive strategies for RC. And I took the Powerscore class and like it was mentioned, they basically just cover the topics of passages - sciences, markets, historical etc.

Key is to not read too fast, or too slow. I get done reading and marking the passage in about 2 minutes.  Be an active reader, continue to ask yourself as you are reading "what point is the author trying to make".

Mark down where there are obvious changes in scope/opinion/tone of the author.
Mark dates & names and strange terminology. 
Be aware of the structure of the passage: How is it put together? P1: Intro/Thesis Statement P2/P3: Pros/Cons, Elaboration on examples etc. P4/P5: Authors opinion/Concluding remark

That plus reading lots and lots and lots. I read everyday - mostly heavy condensed scientific papers, I would recommend reading material that is laborious to read and understand.

This strategy I have been using, I usually get 0-1 wrong on the RC section.

Good points Mori...thank you.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 03:49:25 PM »
I usually rock the RC section, but I wish it came out before 9/5 so we could get some reviews just in case there's something earth-shattering in it. :-\

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 04:05:14 PM »
Yeah, I feel like they're missing the mark with the release date.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »
Yeah, I feel like they're missing the mark with the release date.

Yeah, you'd think they would release it Aug. 5 to get the Oct. takers and lure the Dec. takers with the reviews from the Oct. kids...and get the...just release it early, ummmm kay, PowerScore?

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 06:41:41 PM »
I agree, the release date is bizarre.  Cheers for the tips Mori, my testmasters course basically suggested the same thing. As you go through, number the paragraphs, give a descriptor for each paragraph. This helps understand the organization of the passage and what it's saying and is much better for reference purposes

FatUncle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 07:49:02 PM »
I like that they aren't rushing a product that might otherwise not be ready simply to maximize profits from the October '08 test takers.  Then again, I'm not studying for the LSAT, so what the hell do I care?