Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR from Reverend  (Read 976 times)

russhey

• View Profile
LOR from Reverend
« on: July 16, 2008, 10:40:35 AM »
Just a quick question.

I will be getting a LOR from a professor at my University (I've had 4 classes with her and she's my advisor).  However, I have done a lot of church leadership activities since I was in high school, and thought about getting a LOR from my Reverend.  Do you think schools would frown upon that because it's religious?
GPA: 2.1, LSAT: 174

matta

• View Profile
Re: LOR from Reverend
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:46:17 AM »
Depends on the school.  Most would probably frown on it.  But I bet Pepperdine, Catholic, Notre Dame, BYU, and Samford (Cumberland) would be okay with it.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:52:04 AM »
Some schools ask for it- like Regent.  As long as your reverend can speak to qualities that would make you a good law student, I say it's fine.  But, if all they can say is that you've been great with church stuff, it might not be the strongest LOR.  If you've organized fundraisers, Christmas pageants, etc. things for the church that have been huge successes, and your reverend saw the work you put in and can speak to this then I think you should go for it.  Otherwise...I'd stick to academic or professional LORs.  Unless, of course, you're applying to Regent.

russhey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:56:30 AM »
Some schools ask for it- like Regent.  As long as your reverend can speak to qualities that would make you a good law student, I say it's fine.  But, if all they can say is that you've been great with church stuff, it might not be the strongest LOR.  If you've organized fundraisers, Christmas pageants, etc. things for the church that have been huge successes, and your reverend saw the work you put in and can speak to this then I think you should go for it.  Otherwise...I'd stick to academic or professional LORs.  Unless, of course, you're applying to Regent.

I'm not applying to Regent.  I served on a committee for a few years for the church and have done a lot of stuff for them and organized a lot of stuff.  I was thinking he would be a good LOR for religious schools like matta mentioned.  I will have 4 LOR, one from a well known lawyer, one from my undergrad professor and advicsor, one from my boos at work, and one from my Reverend.  I guess just depending on the school I will always send the academic one and then for the other one if it's a religious school I'm leaning towards the one from the Reverend, the one from a lawyer (he is well known in Texas) I will send only to Texas schools, and all the rest of the schools I'll send the work letter.
GPA: 2.1, LSAT: 174

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 11:02:41 AM »

I'm not applying to Regent.  I served on a committee for a few years for the church and have done a lot of stuff for them and organized a lot of stuff.  I was thinking he would be a good LOR for religious schools like matta mentioned.  I will have 4 LOR, one from a well known lawyer, one from my undergrad professor and advicsor, one from my boos at work, and one from my Reverend.  I guess just depending on the school I will always send the academic one and then for the other one if it's a religious school I'm leaning towards the one from the Reverend, the one from a lawyer (he is well known in Texas) I will send only to Texas schools, and all the rest of the schools I'll send the work letter.

Sounds like a great plan!