Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: chances at duke, cornell, northwestern???  (Read 1630 times)

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
chances at duke, cornell, northwestern???
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:10:22 AM »
I come from a T3 and got in at a T20.
my gpa is 3.45 and I am top 12% from a well respected East Coast Tier
3 law school and I graded on to law review.

The deadline to accept the offer of admission is very soon and I still have to receive a decision from DUKE, CORNELL and NORTHWESTERN.

Since I also have to start thinking about housing etc., I'd like to know how likely it is to get in one of these schools...

I know that I am not the typical applicant but if I had a decent chance, I would wait before I make my final decision.

Thanks
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: chances at duke, cornell, northwestern???
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:34:46 AM »
Have you talked to the school(s) you've been accepted to about their policy in terms of withdrawing acceptance or having additional time to make a decision?

If yes, and the deadline is firm, I would accept.  I don't think that your chances of getting in at Duke/Cornell/Northwestern are high enough to risk losing the option of transferring out.  You know what they say -- a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

random2341

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:05:34 AM »
I agree - if its the certain T20 v. the possible others, take the T20. depending on the market (LA?) you're pretty much just as good there as you would be coming from Duke, e.g.. third tier to top 20 will completely change your prospects.

Tiny Sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:43:22 PM »
Your chances are probably not very good.  There are a lot of people who apply that are in the top 12% and obviously everyone near the top has graded onto law review.  I would accept the T20.  Plus by now schools have admitted most if not all of the transfers.  If you do get in you can always just not go to the T20 - it's not as if schools share blacklists or anything.

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 12:19:02 AM »
Congrats....going from T3 to T20 is quite an accomplishment. Once you crack the Top 25, really, you're in a whole new ball game. Well done.

As far as your chances at Duke, etc....Click the link to my blog...I think it's the second post from the top about transferring. There's a link in there to a website that gives you a rough idea of what class rank you need to transfer into xyz school. I'm sure you'll find it helpful.

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 02:53:48 AM »
Congrats....going from T3 to T20 is quite an accomplishment. Once you crack the Top 25, really, you're in a whole new ball game. Well done.

As far as your chances at Duke, etc....Click the link to my blog...I think it's the second post from the top about transferring. There's a link in there to a website that gives you a rough idea of what class rank you need to transfer into xyz school. I'm sure you'll find it helpful.

Thanks!

according to the website:
Cornell: 5-25%
Duke: 10%
Northwestern: 10%

so, are you sure there is no problem if I decide to accept the T20's offer and I bid on employers and then I get in (very unlikely) one of these 3???
The George Washington University Class of 2010.